HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1752578 Members
4014 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Newly created AO policy is keeping space on Tier 2?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MBLVS
Occasional Contributor

Newly created AO policy is keeping space on Tier 2?

Hello everyone,

I have a newly created AO policy which is going to only be using FC and NL. I create the CPG's / AO and a single VLUN. It is set for Cost.

The creation of the VV was 6TB but checking the AO policy, it is keeping the space all on FC and has not moved it to NL, even though the VLUN has no active data on it. Also the AO policy is set to only use 500G of FC space. IOPS min is set for 50, is this why the fully provisioned 6TB VV is not being moved down to NL?

https://i.imgur.com/C39sWrc.png

3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Newly created AO policy is keeping space on Tier 2?

@MBLVS wrote:

... the VLUN has no active data on it. ... IOPS min is set for 50, is this why the fully provisioned 6TB VV is not being moved down to NL?

Look at the task details after the scheduled AO job runs. You should see a message about the volume's average IOPS being low enough to preclude further data movement.

Question: If you want the bulk of the volume kept on NL, why not change the volume's CPGs to use NL and then use Dynamic Optimization to tune the volume to NL? After that, once there is activity, AO can move the "hot" parts up to FC.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

MBLVS
Occasional Contributor

Forgot all about Tuning it!

I did a new schedule and just put the IOPS min to 0 and it appears it is moving data now, at 41G moved down to NL.

But tuning it may be a quicker option.

Recomendation I was told from HPE was to never create a new VV on a NL CPG, and always create it on FC?

I presume in this case, this would be an exception since we are trying to keep most data on NL anyways...

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

I haven't looked at the latest options for tuning via SSMC. With the tunevv command line, note the -src_cpg option to move just the parts of the volume still on FC. No reason to have it fiddle with the parts already moved to NL.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo