HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1751687 Members
5843 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

REFRESH the incorrect provisioned capacity information in the capacity summary or space allocation

SOLVED
Go to solution
BasitKhan
Occasional Contributor

REFRESH the incorrect provisioned capacity information in the capacity summary or space allocation

Our allocation on the 3PAR was critical and we alleviated the over provisioned space which has been done.  We do have space cleared up however the reason I’m reaching out this community  is that the physical storage allocation summary has not come down from 99% allocated.

CPG compact was already performed and the CPG’s show the updated space properly.  It’s only when we look at the system capacity summary or the physical drives allocated percentage where the numbers have not reset since cleaning out the space.

How do we REFRESH the incorrect provisioned capacity information in the capacity summary or space allocation ??

This is a HP 3PAR array: StoreServ 7440c

Management Console 4.6.2.6

Is there a simple solution to perform a referesh of this updated physical storage allocation summary to come down from 99% allocated ???

8 REPLIES 8
sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: REFRESH the incorrect provisioned capacity information in the capacity summary or space allocati

Hello Basit,

Let's consider the below example for better understanding:

You have 30TiB of usable space. You created 10 thinly provisioned virtual volumes (TPVVs) of 5TiB each. Here your total provisioned capacity is 50TiB and physical capacity is 30TiB. If you have set critical alert at 95%, you will get critical alert when you hit 28.5TiB of physical capacity utilization.

The alert will not bother about the allocation or overprovision limit. The system will be concerned about only physical capacity utilization.

When the physical capacity is utilized over 99%, limiting the overprovisioning will not help. You need to bring down the physical utilization or increase the physical capacity. Actionable things that might help you are - move some volumes to other CPGs where there is enough space, delete redundant snapshots which are not required, delete test/unutilized volumes, consider migrating volumes to other 3PARs, Try to use Adaptive Optimization feature, or increase the physical capacity by adding more disk space. If feasible, you can consider to remove some unwanted data in individual volumes as well to shrink the size and overall utilization.

You have already done compactcpg. can you please check the compactcpg task details and verify how much space it has saved? If it has not done much, it will not help either.

If you think there is a gap in my understanding of the issue, please provide the exact alert you received and also the cli command output for 'showspace' and 'showspace -cpg'.

Regards,

Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

BasitKhan
Occasional Contributor

Re: REFRESH the incorrect provisioned capacity information in the capacity summary or space allocati

Hi Srinivas:

Would it help to run:

run the command tunesys to rebalance the cpg configuration to show the virtual volume status in the summary pane

The alert we are getting is:

Our allocation on the 3PAR was critical and I had indicated at that time that I was already working to alleviate the over provisioned space which has been done. We do have space cleared up. The physical storage allocation summary has not come down from 99% allocated (see screenshots below). I've been trying to find anything I can do to refresh the allocated percentage so the array does not still think it is 99% allocated. Is there something that needs to be run to update this?

[cid:image001.png@01D71660.BA994F80]

[cid:image002.png@01D71660.BA994F80]

Abdul Basit Khan
Direct: 905 464 2229
Compugen Inc.

*****Failure is not an option*****
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hi Abdul,

Please follow the below procedure to refresh the capacity data. If the data reduction happened in the system, but SSMC data is not refreshed, this procedure will help:

Main menu -> ‘Show all’ on the top right corner.
Click on CPGs, select the CPG on which you have you have already done compactcpg.
Go to Actions menu and click ‘Refresh Capacity Efficiency’ and follow the instruction.

Regards,

Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

@BasitKhan 

Please provide some inputs,

showpd -c

showspace -cpg <CPG_name>

Please provide showvv -s <VV_name> for the VV from where you have cleared space. It will be good to get all VV outputs also.

When you say "We do have space cleared up" >> what exactly you have done here ? Have you deleted data from host filesystem or you have deleted snapshot or VV directly at the 3PAR block level?

Restart SSMC and check.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hi Abdul,

Regarding tunesys:
Yes. You can run tunesys command. That will efficiently re-arrange the LDs. To estimate the result of 'tunesys' command, you do a dry run of tunesys. The command is 'tunesys -dr'.

But ensure that when tunesys is in progress, no other data movement tasks like compactcpg, AO data movement etc. are not running at the same time. If more than one data movement tasks are running simultaneously, the total time to complete the tasks will be too high.

Tunesys may take a few hours depending on the amount of data. And the error screenshot is not appearing. If you can paste it again, please.

Regards,

Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

BasitKhan
Occasional Contributor

Pasting again, not sure if it gets cut off in this string of emails:

[cid:image001.png@01D71668.6DB8B3B0]

[cid:image002.png@01D71668.6DB8B3B0]

Thanks,

Abdul Basit Khan
Direct: 905 464 2229
Compugen Inc.

*****Failure is not an option*****
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hi Abdul,

Still can't see the image.

-Srinivas

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

BasitKhan
Occasional Contributor

Hi Srinivas:

Thank-you so much for all your inputs. The issue has resolved, in case I have any further problems with this, I will send a message.

Thanks Sir.

Kindest regards,

Basit Khan