New Discussion

[SOLVED] 3PAR and high IOps

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nicolas_M
Occasional Visitor

[SOLVED] 3PAR and high IOps

Hello,

I am looking for some information about the way Storeserv 7200 deals with high IOps.

- How many IOps should I expect with 15k SAS disks and RAID5 ?

- Can I increase the maximum of IOps by using mixed SSD/HDD and where can I read about it?

- Is it possible to improve the way it deals with high IOps peaks with some extra memory?

I know that full-SSD is a good solution for my problem but it is twice the price.

Thank you for answering or leading me to the answer

4 REPLIES 4
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: 3PAR and high IOps

We typically figure a 15k SAS disk at around 200 (8KB) IOPS. That's back-end IOPS. Front-end (host) IOPS will vary depending on the set size.

Adaptive Optimization (AO) is not a performance product. You do not add SSDs and AO to an environment as a way of obtaining more IOPs, it won't happen. AO is a cost saving tool that moves very quiet data not receiving many IOs from FC drives to larger cheaper NL drives to save money. If you happen to have some very hot data in the environment AO will move data from the FC tier to the SSD tier (or from NL to SSD) and you can reduce the amount of FC space required and replace it with SSD space instead.
Find and read the technical paper "Adaptive Optimization for HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage" (search for 4AA4-0867ENW).

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Nicolas_M
Occasional Visitor

Re: 3PAR and high IOps

Thank you for this response.

I knew about the 175-200 IOps for 15k SAS disks but the point is that the pdf you told me to read is exactly what I was looking for.

I didnt know about the 3 tiers AO and it might be the solution.

If I need more, I'll probably contact HP for pre-sales information.

Thank you

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 3PAR and high IOPS

> Is it possible to improve the way it deals with high IOPS peaks with some extra memory?

No, you can't change the amount of cache, unless you add more nodes, 7400.

Also adding more spindles may help increase IOPS.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 3PAR and high IOPS

Instead of editing the subject to add "SOLVE", you can use accept as Solution for Sheldon's post.

Then there is a big check and a link to it.