108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSMC 3.8 Appliance image

SOLVED
Go to solution
LightSpeedHost
Advisor

SSMC 3.8 Appliance image

I’ve looked every where and maybe I’m missing something but the HPE downloads for SSMC include a 3.8.2 download only and none of the included files have the ESXi appliance image. Only thing in downloads is the upgrade package.

How does one get the appliance?
10 REPLIES 10
support_s
System Recommended

Query: SSMC 3.8 Appliance image

System recommended content:

1. HPE SSMC 3.8 Administrator Guide | Upgrading SSMC appliance

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

[Moderator edit: Updated the link]

Accept or Kudo

Solution

The "subversions" like 3.8.1 or 3.8.2 always come as upgrade-packages, only.

If you want to do a new installation of SSMC 3.8.2, then you need to first install 3.8.0 (HPE_SSMC_3.8_QR482-11524.ISO ) and then upgrade to 3.8.2 (HPE_SSMC_3.8.2_QR482-11610.ISO), following the procedure described in the admin guide.

Let me know if you have further questions.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LightSpeedHost,

HPE SSMC 3.8.2 is not an appliance. It is just a security update/patch.

SSMC 3.8 is the actual appliance.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LightSpeedHost
Advisor

That makes more sense then. How does one get the actual appliance then? I
don’t see anything in downloads other than 3.8.2. Literally nothing else
under SSMC

Thanks!

Click on the green "Download" button on the upper-right corner.

You should be redirected to a page that lists the 3.8 appliance iso, along with 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 upgrade isos and more.

Note i used this link:

https://myenterpriselicense.hpe.com/cwp-ui/free-software/SSMC_CONSOLE

Hope that helps.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LightSpeedHost
Advisor

Thank you, I am not sure that passed by me.  I am using SSMC Console 3.3.1 currently.  If i install the Hyper-V image and to the migration tool, there's no issue jumping from 3.3.1 to 3.8? 

Section "Migrating from Installer-based SSMC deployment to
SSMC appliance" in the admin-guide has the details. Yes, migrating from 3.3.1 to 3.8 should be possible.

If your current 3.3.1 setup is small, with only one or two arrays and if you have not created a lot of reports, then starting with a new-installed appliance is probably the best. 

You can run both, SSMC 3.3.1 and the new appliance in parallel for a while, until you get used to the new model. 

Note that any additional SSMC instance is adding load to the arrays. So you should shutown the 3.3.1 solultion at some point of time.

Hope that helps.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LightSpeedHost
Advisor

I've tried the Hyper-V appliance in Hyper-V and in VirtualBox with Hyper-V emulation and no matter what I try, I cannot get the SSMC appliance to get a DHCP IP.  This is super frustrating as this seems like such a thing that should be simple.  Shame they did away with the installer exe.  

Is there a way to get root access on the appliance?  It won't let me currently

Root access to the appliance is completly disabled. 

The only user that can login to the appliance is the ssmcadmin user.

DHCP by default is enabled. I have never worked on a Hyper-V installation, but i don´t think that this is different in Hyper-V.

You will need to check your DHCP-server to see which IP-address the appliance has taken.

If not.

Do you have console access? It should give you a login-prompt. From there you can logon as the "ssmcadmin" user. If you do this the very first time (initial password is "ssmcadmin", then it will ask you to change the password. 

After that is done, you should get the so called "TUI". A text-base menue, which will allow you to setup networking etc...

You should find all this in the Administration Manual. For 3.8, it is page 40. if i am not wrong.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo