HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage

Storage migration from IBM to 3par sing hyper-v

SOLVED
Go to solution
owahid
Frequent Advisor

Storage migration from IBM to 3par sing hyper-v

Hi,

We have new 3par storage systems (Two storage array 3par 8200), we have already one 3par 8200 , total no. of 3par 8200 storage systems is three , we have hosts already connected to old IBM storage systems (three old IBM storage systems) , Each storage system controllers (Both 3par and IBM) connected to two san switches (all manufactured by brocade) , No storage system have any fabric connectivity to another storage system , mean the host connected to a san switch that san switch connected to say IBM then this host can get LUNs only from specific IBM storage only.

My problem:

The Old hosts which have connection to IBM old storage need more LUNs and I want to map LUNs to this hosts from the new hpe 3par storage system , I could install another HBA in some hosts and do mapping LUNs from the new 3par storage system and do some storage migration for my VMs at the hyper-V level. But I do not have enough HBAs to install in all hosts , so I think for a solution is that connecting all san switches to one san switch (which have many free ports) will solve the problem and that will give me the ability to map a LUN from any storage system to any host connected to any san switch. I connected SAN SW1 from a storage system to the SAN SW1 and SAN SW2 to SAN SW2 but AFTER DOING THE PHYSICAL CONNECTIVITY AND BEFORE EDITING ANY ZONES OR MAPPING ANY NEW LUN a problem appeared that one of my old san sw make a zone overwrite on two of my new san sw

(I THINK THEY WORKED AS ONE SWITCH SO THE PRINCPLE SWITCH OVERIGHT OTHER SWITCHES) and some hosts lost its active path to its Luns.

A simple diagram is attached that illustarte my envirnment connections

I searched for solution to avoid zone change; I reach that:

• Each san switch should have its unique domain ID.
  • Each zone should have its unique name, no duplicate in alias name, no duplicate in zone name, or zone config name.
  • zones should set manually and do not let it in the default that allow all.

My questions:

Is that previous steps enough?

If I changed the domain ID of a SAN Switch will that affect the production .??

SAN SW connection.jpg

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Storage migration from IBM to 3par sing hyper-v

Hi! It's pretty much clear that you have two isolated SAN Fabrics: let me call SAN A (blue links between SAN Switches) and SAN B (green links between SAN Switches).

Each Hosts should be connected to each SAN Frabric thorugh at least one (or more, for resiliency) HBA port.

Each Storage system (being equipped with dual Controllers) should have each controller connected to both SAN Fabrics (to SAN A and to SAN B).

Given that a question arise: are you working with zoning? and WWPN? working with zones (and here I suppose zones are simmetrical on both SAN Fabrics)....should make your request simple to fulfill.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner