New Discussion

What is the Zero detection in 3PAR

SOLVED
Go to solution
binu_mathew
Frequent Advisor

What is the Zero detection in 3PAR

Hi Experts,

Can any one explain me what is the zero detection in 3PAR . How ASIC chip perform this ?

The very basic doubt I have is How can ASIC chip detect Zero and remove it. As per my understanding data write in binary form like 100100. If Zero is removed from this ,then the value itself is changed and it is something else.

Or may be my undrrstaning of zero detection may be wrong

Appreciate comments form experts

6 REPLIES 6
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: What is the Zero detection in 3PAR

Hi Mathew

It is explained in this document:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA3-8987ENW.pdf

Basically, when the ASIC detect a 16 KiB block of pure zero's, it doesn't write the data (16 KiB zeroes) to the disks.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

binu_mathew
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for this document.

So The zero detection means the the white space reclamation. Which is done by ASIC chip with the help of softwar Thin persistance, Thin reclamation and Thin convertion.

Not that the zero detection from binaries  . Am I right ?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Correct. As gregersenj wrote, when the node (ASIC) "sees" a 16KB page of all binary zero come in, it simply updates pointers and does not have to  physically write the zeros.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

binu_mathew
Frequent Advisor

Hi Smith,

Thanks for this answer.

How efficient this 16Kib block identification when compared to other storage vendor. I can understand that Since its taking only 16Kib block the IO operation required for this wil be less and increases the performance when compared to other storage vendor. But how about the eliminating Zero, or deduplication, when other are performing with the size of 4KB or 8 KB block size.

Can we change the value of 16Kib to a lesser one or a higher one

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>How efficient this 16KiB block identification when compared to other storage vendor.

Very, since it is done in the ASIC.

>Can we change the value of 16 KiB to a lesser one or a higher one?

No, not smaller unless the whole 16 KiB is zero for 32 of the 512 byte blocks.

But multiples of 16 KiB are obviously handled.

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

Hi @binu_mathew,

I have a lot of HP 3PAR content on my blog that would help you better understand HP 3PAR. There are many things about the platform that are different from traditional, legacy disk arrays. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have them.

And apologies for taking so long to respond - I had intended to reply sooner but lost track of your post.