108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: online migration from MSA P2000 to 3PAR StoreServ

albert1
Occasional Contributor

online migration from MSA P2000 to 3PAR storage serv

Hello all !!

I have a question !

Is there a way to migrate from HP MSA P2000 to 3PAR storage without downtime ?????

Thanks for your support !!!

9 REPLIES 9
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Not that I know of.  There is Peer Motion from EVA to StoreServ but not from MSA.

albert1
Occasional Contributor

OK !

But, is there another solution to migrate from MSA ??? ( no matter online or offline )

This is essential !!

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>is there another solution to migrate from MSA?

There is always backup and restore.  :-)

But you may want to talk to Support to see if there is anything else.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

1. You didn't mention what operating system. The OS may have a means of migrating from one LUN to another.
  2. You first asked about migration with "no downtime". Then you replied that offline migration would be acceptable.
    Offline == downtime.
    Which is it?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Cali
Honored Contributor

You can use Hyper-V or vmWare Storage Migration if it is virtual.

Or Database Replication if it is Orcale, or...

But you have to tell us about Operating System, File System and such things if you ask Questions about.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Dusko87
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I'm facing similar challenge so I would like to hear your opinions. I have HP MSA2312fc with 5 LUNs presented through Brocade blade switch to two BL460c blade servers. Both servers are running MS Windows 2003 with Microsoft failover cluster and MSSQL as clustered resource. The database files are on storage LUNs and file system if obviously NTFS. We have acquired new 3PAR 7200 StoreServ unit and I would like to migrate LUNS from MSA. I can afford downtime so any suggestion is welcome as long as it bears in mind MS Failover cluster which is sensitive to disk (LUN) signature changes.

1st of all you need to think about destination Host Operating System. Are you planning to use same Host setup means both servers are running MS Windows 2003 with Microsoft failover cluster and MSSQL as clustered resource?

Please note that HPE 3PAR 7200 support starts from Windows 2008 so you need to migrate your Host setup from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 or higher. You can refer the below article to get some idea,

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/247559-how-to-convert-physical-windows-2003-server-for-hyper-v-environment

So data migration need to happen at the Host level and not at the Storage level. There is no tool available which can do migration from MSA to 3PAR

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dusko87
Occasional Visitor

Hi and thanks for joining discussion...

I would preserve Host OS and setup since this MSSQL have a lot of merge replication clients which are synchronizing database with this central server.

Anyway I'm considering another approach. I was thinking about P2V conversion of Host servers and directly presenting existing LUNs to virtual machines. There is VMWare vSphere 5.5 environment already in place. Then I would present LUNs of the same size, created on 3PAR, directly to VMs and use the Windows mirror disk tools to mirror the data. Lastly I would have swap cluster disks so that VMs use disks that are presented from 3PAR.

I know that this is out of scope of storage migration forum but any thoughts would be appreciated.

vaxemt
Regular Visitor

Hi Sheldon,  

I'm looking for a recomended process for migrating a Citrix XenServer environment from HPE P2000 to (newly obtained) HPE 3PAR 8000 series.  Citrix XenServer Hosts are running 7.1 CU2 (similar to CentOS i'm told) and Storage Repository Types are all  Hardware HBA.  The 3PARs are brand new (not even powered up yet).  Ideally would like to bring them up and run them parallel without impacting on going production.

Thoughts?