1753451 Members
5766 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1GB Fiber Card for RP3440 Server

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: 1GB Fiber Card for RP3440 Server

And just a reality check about a very short deadline, especially with fibre and switches, etc. Change the deadline to tentative. You've already gotten bad advice from your vendor and you'll need additional time to get the switch, the drivers and devices configured and tested.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You need to install The Gigabit Ethernet software bundle (IEther-00) for HP-UX 11i v 1.0 which is on the December 2003 application CD;
Please refer to the instruction manual link provided in my earlier reply [ Or here it is http://docs.hp.com/en/5971-4261/ch01s01.html for the hardware and software installation page ]
Also note the connectivity required for A7011A - "For 1000Base-SX, cabling can be either 62.5 micron or 50 micron multimode fiber optic (MMF) cable with LC connectors. If the remote connection is type SC, you will need an LC-to-SC conversion cable" as mentioned in Step 3 of the instructions.

Also refer to the Release notes for Ether-00 drivers at
http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-5389/index.html
for patch requirements and other information.

Regards,
Ninad
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Well if you are still not sure on what to get for your server you might be better off getting a multi-function card.

IMHO it will give you the flexibility for connecting your server to the LAN as well as mass storage. For example it might be worthwhile checking out the following LAN/mass storage adapters each of which plugs into the turbo PCI slots on your RP3440:

PCI-X 2Gb Fibre Channel / 1000BaseT --> A9782A
PCI-X 2Gb Fibre Channel / 1000BaseSX --> A9784A
PCI-X 2-port 2-Gb Fibre Channel / 2-port 1-Gb Ethernet Adapter --> AB465A

Thing to note is that the Ethernet/BaseT cards are copper based while the BaseSX cards connect to fibre switches. And the drivers for these cards can be found on the application CDs.

~hope it helps
Ray Bell
Regular Advisor

Thanks for all your assistance...

I will get the software from the cd...
Ray Bell
Regular Advisor

Thanks for all your assistance...

I will push the deadline back.