1753943 Members
8825 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 questions about HP 9000 E55

SOLVED
Go to solution

2 questions about HP 9000 E55

hi First question, this server (E55) support HP-UX 11.00.
2nd questions, i made a recovery tape with make_tape_recovery, went i try to recover it begins well, made the vg,create the filesystems but went it must to begin to download the files send me this error: pax_iux=the archive is empty, and i made this tape and log told me that this tape is good
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: 2 questions about HP 9000 E55

Yes, the E55 supports 11.0:

http://devrsrc1.external.hp.com/STK/serversupport.html

Despite the fact that your log told you this tape was good, it does not seem to be. I would re-make the archive.

Pete

Pete

i remake the tape 4 times with diferents tape , the server have all patches needed
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

1. Make sure you have the latest verion of Ignite/UX (download it, don't use it from an HP-UX cold install)

2. Make sure pax is the latest version. MTR will test pax for a required filename handling problem but nothing else. Get the latest pax patch.

3. See if the archive actually has a second directory:

# mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn rewind
# mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsf
# tar tvf /dev/rmt/0mn

(/dev/rmt/0mnb is whatever your tape drive is with the No-Rewind option set. The atr should produce a long list of files.

4. When you run MTR, specify the verbose flag (-v) so you can see all the steps on the screen. It should match what is in /var/opt/ignite/recovery/latest/recovery.log

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

If the tape drive is bad it will always make bad tapes. If you are using DAT2, you need to verify each tape, since those didn't do a read after write.
Mom 6

1.Check for tape drive,it should read properly]
till the end.
2.What is the Tape drive at IgniteUX server and
your E55 ignite client,is it same.After
making the tape using "make_tape_recovery"
remove the tape drive from ignite server and
put it in the client and install it.
2.still u are facing problem u can try
installing via network make_net_recovery(1M)

This sounds only the tape drive issue,

regards
SK
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

I realize this is 2 weeks later but I wanted to add that make_net_recovery will not work for the E55. In section 4.3 Networking Issues of the Ignite-UX Release Notes, it mentions that "The ... E class ... systems do not support network boot."

Marlou
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Manuel, I had this problem yesterday because I didn't use the right syntax. After several attempts to replicate my L1000 I used
"make_tape_recovery -A -I -a /dev/rmt/0mn" and it worked for me. Managed to copy everything and copy from an 18gb drive to a 9gb drive
cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar