New Discussion юеВ

2Q on RP7410: UPS and ballast kit (+)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrey_20
Advisor

2Q on RP7410: UPS and ballast kit (+)

Hello everybody,

there is RP7410 runing HP-UX 11.11 mounted in Rack System/E (a4901a). My first question concerns the interaction of UPS and 7410, more precisely what should I configure on 7410 (and or UPS) to automatically shutdown the server if UPS looses incoming 220V power. I am not sure about the model of UPS which is going to be used, but probably it would be APC 3000. Maybe someone can recommend the proper model of UPS. Sorry for stupid Q, but it's the first time I'm going to do such kind of thing with UPS.

Second Q concerns the usage of Ballast Kit on a4901a rack. Our local HP (Russia) says it's mandatory, but on HP web-site I found the following: "Products that require the use of any tool to facilitate servicing or to extend the device from the rack are considered serviceable by trained personnel only. When these products are extended, the use of the anti-tip foot is required, and no ballast is required in the rack".

Is it REALLY manadatory to install it? This rack seems to be stable..

Thanks in advance,
Andrey
5 REPLIES 5
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Re: 2Q on RP7410: UPS and ballast kit (+)

Andrey,

For the UPS config, It really depends on how long the system takes to shutdown (what's running, etc.) and how much backup power time you have available (which depends on the UPS type)

The ballast kit is absolutely necessasary if you have the rp7410 mounted anywhere but the lowest spot in the rack. I've personally seen racks tip from sliding out an rp7410 for service. Believe me, it's not fun trying to catch a 200kg system and rack, not to mention the thoughts of "this system cost $250,000" as it tries to hit the floor. Lucky for me (and my job) we managed to steady it in time :). The ballast kit is extremely simple to install. all you need is a 1/2 inch crescent wrench (or similar) and follow the instructions on the sheet included with the kit.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Andrey_20
Advisor

Josh,

ok it's clear now with ballast kit :)), although 7410 is at the lowest spot of the rack.

As for the UPS question - I think I found it using search :))

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/parseCurl.do?CURL=%2Fcm%2FQuestionAnswer%2F1%2C%2C0x19667bb04b5cd611abdb0090277a778c%2C00.html&admit=716493758+1066159900610+28353475

Anyway, if you have something to add - I'll be grateful.

Thanks,
Andrey
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

As far as UPS configuration goes, the easiest way to configure it is to go into SAM.
Under 'Peripheral Devices' select 'Uninterruptable Power Supplies'
Go to the 'actions' menu and select 'Modify Global Settings'
You can change the delay and shutdown timeouts. The shutdown delay is how long the system will wait before issuing the shutdown command. the shutdown timeout is how long after issuing the shutdown command it will wait before powering down the server.

The rp7410 uses about 1700 VA fully populated with CPUs, memory, PCI cards, cell boards, hard drives, etc.
If you have some external drives or other peripherals connected to the UPS also , then increase the power consumption appropriately.

According to this doc:
http://www.connectworld.net/data_center/3000va.html

The backup time is just under 20 minutes, so I would do a test shutdown with the normal amount of processes running to determine how long from the time you enter the
# shutdown -h 0
command it takes to get the OK to turn off power message. use that to determine how long of a delay timeout to use.
What are the chances...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

Also, the APC3000 should be fine to use. HP reccommends a 10 minute window for shutdown, so 19.2 minutes should be fine.
What are the chances...
Andrey_20
Advisor

Josh,

thanks a lot for answer on UPS question, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Andrey