1747988 Members
4776 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 7420 ODE testing

SOLVED
Go to solution

7420 ODE testing

I have received a rp7420 HP 9000 Server, and need to test the internal components. We have recently received an ODE disc (PA0809) to test with. When I boot the server, I'm able to login using the default Admin:Admin for l:p, but from there I am lost. I believe the HD's were DoD wiped, so no HP-UX resides on them. Would I need to install HP-UX on this unit to use the ODE disc and test the internal components? or is there a way I can run the CD from the MP menu?

TiA,
"Flounder"
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget.
5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

You RS the system and boot from the CD path.
If the disks were wiped, then it should search and only find the image on the CD.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The ODE disc is designed for troubleshooting any situations when the OS is no longer bootable, so it will of course work without the OS.

The instructions for running the ODE diagnostics from the CD can be found from the ODE User's and Administrator's Guide:
http://docs.hp.com/en/10320/ode-guide.pdf
See chapter 3.3.1, "Running ODE from the CD".

As you say you're "lost" after using the default Admin/Admin login, I believe it would be beneficial for you to read the rp7420 manuals too:

Installation Guide:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-5990/index.html

Service Processor User's Guide:
http://docs.hp.com/en/A5201-90017/index.html

If you are not familiar with modern HP-UX servers, here's a couple of tips to get you started:

After the Admin/Admin login, you aren't accessing the *real* rp7420 yet. At this point, you're communicating with the MP Service Processor: a very small auxilliary computer that allows you to remotely power on/off, reset, diagnose and configure the main rp7420 hardware. You must use the "CO" command to get to the Console Mode to access the rp7420.

Learn well the features of the Service Processor: it's an important tool in hardware configuration and diagnostics. After your system is properly set up, you won't need it much... but when you'll need it, it will be invaluable.

After powering on the system, nothing will happen on the Console Mode display for quite a while: the boot-time self-tests can take several minutes, depending on the exact hardware configuration. The first sign of life in the Console Mode will usually be a prompt to "press any key in 10 seconds to interrupt the boot sequence" if autoboot is enabled, or the PDC> prompt if it isn't. If you need to monitor the hardware self-tests, use the VFP (Virtual Front Panel) mode of the Service Processor instead of the Console Mode.

MK
MK

I powered on the system, attempted to login into console, but from there I get no output from the unit. It locks at "Connecting to Console: Partition 0". which seems a little odd to me. In the past, we would install a new copy of HP-UX on these server's and do various tests. I'm not seeing any part of a "Press any key to hault boot". Granted, this is a bit newer of a system than I am used to working with (most of my experiences are with rp5470's), but I wouldn't think the process would be as different as it seems to me on my end. I will re-read the online manual's that you have provided me, and see if something makes sense to me on there. I do have the ODE guide printed out as a ref guide to use. Hopefully I can figure this out, I'm excited to use this new ODE disc!!

TiA and TY so far,
"Flounder"

After letting the unit run for about an hour, the console finally connected and came to life. From that point, I was able to interrupt the boot sequence, modify the boot path to the cd and boot off that. Now it's time to play with the ODE disc and really have some fun!! TY for the speedy responses, ITRC forums have never let me down thanks everyone here! God Bless.

"Flounder"

Got the system running and booted off ODE. Did not know that I would need to contact HP for a password to run some of these tests (the main one's we are trying to run).