New Discussion юеВ

Re: 9000/827s console (mux) pinout?

SOLVED
Go to solution
snutte
Occasional Advisor

9000/827s console (mux) pinout?

Hi all,

I kinda got a 9000/827s dropped in my lap a couple of days ago, and since then I've been browsing this forum to fins a soloution on how to connect a console to it... I didn't find anything that really helped.

The thing is that I didn't get the MDP panel, nor the cable to it. What I really, really, really would like to know is:
- The pinout for the mux connector.
- Is the 5062-3074 cable a console cable, and if so, what's the pinout for it?

I can't say that I'm very familiar with HP stuff, but I have an old 9000/715/50 that I kind of like....

Btw, ist the 827 just as prickly about what cdrom it likes as the 715/50? *grin*

-- P
15 REPLIES 15
kamal_9
Super Advisor

Hi
Can you tell the pins details (no of pins male/female ) for both console and console
kamal_9
Super Advisor

Hi
Can you give me the pin details (no of pins Male/Female) for the console and server
snutte
Occasional Advisor

The server has the large 70+ pins female connector, and the terminal has the standard 9 pin female serial interface.

Would be reallly nice to get the thingy running and doing some work... :)

--P
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

It's not a pinout problem. The MDP panel has electronics inside so without the panel, the box is just a boat anchor. The 827 would only be useful if you can get a free or almost free MDP. And yes, to boot these VERY old systems, the boot ROMs require that the CDROM be strapped to the correct sector size.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
snutte
Occasional Advisor

Okay, thanks. I'll try to get the MDP panel but I'm pretty sure it has been tossed out already, as it is some time since the machine was taken out of service.
So, probably I have a good boat anchor... :)

If I dont get the MDP I'll just rip out the useful things, like fastethernet cards, disks and DAT tapedevice, and throw the rest into the bin...

I'll stay on here though, as I like to pick up knowledge, and that is a thing that you can't ever get enough of. :)

--P
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The 827 is 100% proprietary as far as the cards in the backplane. Nothing compatible with a PC or even with newer HP computers. The tape drive is likely a DDS-1, SCSI-2 SE and the CDROM (if there is one) is either 1x or perhaps 4x speed. Note that the 827 (and other models like 817, 837, 847, etc) also came in an HP-IB version where the disks were not SCSI but HP-IB. HP-IB is an instrumentation bus (IEEE-488) but HP designed disks, tape drives, even printers to use HP-IB. It was the USB of the 80's but could not easily be enhanced so no further work was done with peripherals and HP-IB. The HP-IB connector looks like a smaller (but mechanically stronger) Centronics connector. These devices are museum pieces today although many are still in service...and running very old, non-Y2K software.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
snutte
Occasional Advisor

Disks are scsi, at least the external ones, so they are useable on some of the other old hw I have around. :)
Otherwise it sounds like a real boat anchor...

Btw, what are the specs on the 827s? Is there a link to some technical documentation anywhere?

--P
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Start with the HP Museum...

Seriously, this machine predates your 715 workstation and was obsolete long before HP web pages were used for such documentation. A search through hp.com didn't find anything relevant, and Google provided just a couple of entries: http://docs.rinet.ru/UNIXi/ch29.htm and http://hwdb.parisc-linux.org/view.php3?type=machine&name=827%2F48

The CPU is a PA-RISC chip PA-7000 and part of a family called Nova that was first sold in the late 80's. Back then, the product numbers were fairly sane (807, 817, 827, 837, 847, etc). Later, these were all changed so that uname -m was confusing (F,G,H,I) so your 9000/827 was also called an H20. The I/O was known as NIO (Nova I/O) to differentiate it from the previous generation of CIO boxes such as the 825, 835, 845, etc. Processor speed is probably 48Mhz, RAM is completely proprietary.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Gereon Wenzel
Advisor

I have one of these machines too.
Best resources can be found at
http://www.openpa.net/systems/nova.html
You don't need to use the MUX port as the Novas have a PS/2 style serial port.
(Adapter can be homemade by use of an obsolete keyboard cord.)
Mine was an F10/807 upgraded to F30 using the CPU of a G30/847.
Drop me a message, if you need some memory.
But is there any expert reading this who knows how to set up an E25/806 which has a mux port only?

Gereon
eisapc.de