108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 9000/827s console (mux) pinout?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Sorry about the MUX-only response. Indeede, the entire Nova class (8x7 and F,G,H,I series boxes) use the mini-DIN console cable. I have an H60 (aka, an 887) plus an E35 and it's the E35 that uses a MUX panel only. Here's the pinout for the cable:

http://www.openpa.net/doc/din800.txt

You can clip off the cable from a busted PC keyboard and create the above console cable. Also check out the reference table at: http://www.openpa.net/systems800.html for more specs on the old models.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
snutte
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for some excellent replies!
I browsed the links and found a lot of good stuff, but then I found that my machine doesn't really fit the descriptions...
The label on the back says model 827s, and thus it should be a H20. But a H20 has only 4 HPPB slots, whereas mine has 6...
There is no mini-DIN connector, so I guess the I/O board has been "upgraded" at some time.

Anyhow, I've sent off a mail asking if the MDP is still available. If not, I'll send it off to the happy huntinggrounds in HP heaven... :)

--P
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

A good bookmark for HP parts is partsurfer.hp.com and yes, a MUX panel is available (it's called an ADP-II) for only $270 US, probably 3x more than the 827s is worth. The core I/O board came in a couple of flavors, thus the difference you are seeing (no mini-DIN console).

Note that at the OpenPA website, the features of the various models are shown including pictures and detailed descriptions. You might be able to find a different core I/O board that has a mini-DIN connector) but if you can locate the MUX panel, make sure it has a cable to the computer too. Also note that you may need a crossover cable for the console rather than a straight-thru. The best choice (for unknown hardware) is to have a crossover adapter.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
snutte
Occasional Advisor

Yeah, buying a panel isn't really an option. The only reason to even try to get it up and running is out of curiosity. The 827 definately has a place among my old Sun-3's and Diab's.
I kinda have my own little museum in the basement...

I'll know in a couple of days if the panel and cable still exist, so I'll just have to be patient. Thanks anyway for all the info, I've learned a lot so far, and it's not over yet...

--P
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

P,

This may help you if you are still interested in getting your old clunker to work.

I recently aquired a E25 server, and got a 700/96 HP console to work with it. (I even got a FLT 707D message on the console! yipee!)

I used a J2094-60004 cable connected to the MUX port on the server. the J2094-60004 has two 9-pin connections. the one labeled "MDP 0" should be connected to a 5062-3054 MDP. The console needs to connect to port 0 on this panel.

HTH
Josh
What are the chances...
snutte
Occasional Advisor

Josh, the problem is that I don't have the MDP panel at all. Probably it has gotten thrown away in the process to take the 827 out of service. I have asked at the site if they can find it, but haven't had any answers yet...
I'll give it another week and then I'll scrap the machine.
Too bad, but that's life...

--P