1748036 Members
4793 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

939 KS/00 Board Upgrade 4 Slot to 8 Slots

Mike Whitescarver
Occasional Advisor

939 KS/00 Board Upgrade 4 Slot to 8 Slots

We have an HP 3000 - 939KS (00) not 020 or 030. In order to expand the board slots (4 to 8) we have installed an expansion slot chip. However when we install a fast wide controller card into any of the expansion slots (5-8) they are not seen in ODE/Mapper. Thus, the slots are still not hot. We've tested to make sure we have a good controller card and we do. The original 4 slots are still active/hot, but we can't get the other 4 going. The original chip is (A2375-81401) and the new chip is (A2375-81801). I get conflicted answers from my hardware supplier/support. Supplier says the system board must be bad. Support says the expansion chip must be bad. Any experience or help would be appreciated...
7 REPLIES 7
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Re: 939 KS/00 Board Upgrade 4 Slot to 8 Slots

Hi

When there are an important upgrade like this, also it must be updated the String machine, and probably update PDC; This operations must be done by HP.
If not, its possible that isnt working.

Jorge
Mike Whitescarver
Occasional Advisor

I've been told we shouldn't have to worry about the model or PDC--it does not change just by activating the additional 4 slots.
tim_39
Advisor

Doug you do have the correct PAL chip to activate the four remaning slots. However your 939 equates to a K2XX series machine and they only support the first four slots. There is absolutley nothing you can do to that mother board that will allow the other slots to function. That chip is only for 959 or higher an din the 9000 arena k400 and up. Also if you did have a 959 or higher there is no need to for a model string change ..of course firmware level is important and is required depending on the level it is currently at. No use beating a dead horse the 939 can not be exapnded.
Mike Whitescarver
Occasional Advisor

I have read the I/O upgrade manual - HP3000/9x9KS and it specifically states that the PAL chip can be added to any 929-979KS. You may be referring to HP9000 servers.
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

There's a chance that one of the support providers (or users) who reads HP3000-L
(aka comp.sys.hp.mpe) might know an answer, too.

The mailing list HP3000-L info is at:
http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html

The mailing list is also available as a newsgroup, comp.sys.hp.mpe.
To see it without a newsreader, use:
http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.sys.hp.mpe
william h mcchesney

Tim is 100% correct in his explanation to your question. A 939 cannot be upgraded to an 8 slot box unless you upgrade the 939 to a 959 or higher. This causes some problems-first the tier level will incease and 2nd their is licensing issues you have to address from hp and your application vendors. The hardware upgrade has to be done by hp and its the cheapest part of the upgrade. So,move on and dont dwell on this problem.
Mike Whitescarver
Occasional Advisor

We finally got it to work--we had to replace the system board with an exact duplicate 939KS board. We put in the same 8-slot PAL chip and it worked. Thus, we must have had a bad board. FYI--this change only impacts the susan number but does not require an upgrade to a 959.