Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A180's and HDD

Claire Greathead_1
Occasional Visitor

A180's and HDD

Hi

Does anyone know the maximum size disk that will work in an A180?
We currently have 9 and 18 Gb's HDD but would like to replace them with 36's

Rgds

Claire
9 REPLIES 9
Simon Hargrave
Honored Contributor

Re: A180's and HDD

If you go to partsurfer.hp.com and put A180 into the model, you should be able to bring a list of all compatible part numbers for that server, which of course will include drives.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Claire,

it's only 18GB for A180 I guess.
But larger drives may work - if they are SE SCSI or LVD SCSI with adapter.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Are You talking about supported or technical maximum?

For supported disk sizes, look it up at http://partsurfer.hp.com , otherwise there is no limit, but You should consider adding a different scsi or fibre hba to the system as the onboard scsi is 50pin scsi only (fast/ultra single-ended which limits the performance).
Also, You shouldn't use disks above 7200rpm for because of the heat issues that could arise.
An A180 can't notify You if the fan infront of Your disks fails, so they shouldn't generate too much heat.

Mine has an old A3740A hba which I connect to a fc enclosure if I need performance and a externally attached scsi disk in a hp smart desktop enclosure for 'regular' purposes.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Claire Greathead_1
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Tryed that already and it only lists 4 and 9Gb disks, but we already use 18Gb's in some of them so it doesn't list all of the possible options.

Rgds

Claire
Claire Greathead_1
Occasional Visitor

Hi

I have too many of them to add external disk arrays, our 18Gb disks are currently on contract, so we might have to go with more of those.

Rgds

Claire
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Hi Claire, the most we ever put internal in a A180 is 216GB using 1 x 180GB half height drive & 1 x 36GB low profile drive. You have limited space in the drive bay so using 1 x half height and 1 x low profile disk is really pushing it, we usually have to cut and fabricate to get a HH & LP drive in the bay but it can be done. You can get 2 x 36GB LP drives in there with no problem.

Jesse
Cypress Tech
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

There aren't any HP 36GB drives that are recommended for the A180, the closest your going to get is the A5546A 36GB 7200 RPM drive, its recommended for the e3000/9x8 & 9000/E series servers but it will work in the A180. These drives are HH so you can only use one in the drives bay and they list at HP for $3,038.00 each. We have used 36GB 7200 RPM low profile drive in the A180 for about $450.00 and they usually have a 1-year warranty. They don't have HP part number so its up the in individual HP CE to decide if they will accept them under their maintenance wing, if you not supported by HP then its probably no going to be in issue. Let me know if you want me to elaborate further on these drives.

Thanks
Jesse
Jesse@cypress-tech.com
Claire Greathead_1
Occasional Visitor

HP actually support the following 18 and 36Gb disks (A6741AR (18GB) and A6742AR (36GB)) as remarketed disks.

Thanks for all your help

Claire
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

yea, HP will support those drives but the A6742A & A6742A will not work in the A180, those two drives will go into the A400 & A500 servers, there still considered an A class server buy totally different drives. The A180 server take SE - Single Ended 50-pin 7200 RPM disk Drives and the A6742A & A6742A are 80-pin 10k rpm drives... you might be able to get some type of 80-pin to 50-in adapter to use them but the little fan in the A180 will probably not be able to cool the 10k drives down.. you might want to re-ask who ever told you the A6742A & A6742A drives will work in your A180.