108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A400 hardware questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

if there an HP re-seller, I would tell them to pre-install the HP-UX via an A400, they should be able to do that. I have only used HP branded CD-ROM's on HP system so I'm not sure if a third party will work.. if you have the pin-outs correct, I would assume it would work.
dictum9
Super Advisor

Would HP-590280-A0 External SCSI CD Rom Drive work?

Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

I don't know that CD drive but if you can connect it to the A400's Ultra SCSI port, I would think it would work. What I would do is just go and get the recommended DVD drive, cable, and terminator for that box...

1. C4314A Desk-top NSE DVD ROM
1. C2957A (2m), C2904A (1m), or C2955A (.5m) SCSI 50-pin high density to high density SCSI cable
1. C2904A terminator
dictum9
Super Advisor

1) 36GB Seagate Hot Plug 10k Ultra SCSI Low Profile Disk Drive..$170.00
---------------------------------------

I was quoted $450 for this drive from one HP vendor, is that really too much? I cannot find it anywhere else however. Do you have a source for your quote, as it's attractive price.

Also, I would need a SCSI CD-ROM drive in case I need to re-install the OS.
dictum9
Super Advisor

Do I really need the DVD capabilities?
I just need to install it - once, maybe reinstall it if I need to. Older style CDROM would be just fine.
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

click the link and look under the A class add-ons for the disk drives:

http://www.cypress-tech.com/Specials.htm

you really don't need the DVD capabilities but there is no option for the CD-ROM that interfaces with the A400, that I can find in my book... you can try any external CD ROM, if it works great, if not just get the DVD ROM thats recommended.
dictum9
Super Advisor

External CDROM is just fine.

Now that web site lists the hard drive in the category of

"3000/N Class Servers Disks "

Are you sure it would work with A400?
dictum9
Super Advisor

OK, just saw the right entry:
3000/A Class Servers Disks

I will call them and ensure that this hard drive can indeed work with what I have. Thank you.
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Under the 3000/N, you will see the 3000/A which is the same hardware architecture as the HP 9000/A class boxes and yes it they will work with your A400 HP-UX box