108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A4999A compatable with rp7400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

A4999A compatable with rp7400

Can I take a A4999A Ultra2 low volt SCSI diff SE card from a C class workstation (3750) and use it on a rp7400
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Tex,

I searched & searched & cannot find anything definitive. BUT if it's a PCI card, I see no harm in trying. Either the kernel will recognize it - or not.
THEN the question becomes simply....support.
I, for one, would never place unsupported HW in a production environment.
It's a health thing - mental health. Would you want to explain the inability to fix a production problem to mgmnt?
So my advice to you would be - Call your local ASE & ask them to answer this question. That's why you pay HP all those big support $. Right?

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

This adapter is only supported in workstations and 32bit PCI slot
Eugeny
Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the answers just to clarify when yo say supported does that mean it may work but not supported

Unless HP has completely butchered the PCI specification in the rp7400, IMHO this shouldn't cause any problems. PCI is designed to be backwards-compatible all the way up through the PCI-X specification. Since the rp7400 and the C3750 are both basically new, this shouldn't be an issue.

I do agree with the others that HP/UX itself may or may not choose to recognize the card in the rp7400.

FWIW, I'm running a completely generic Symbios Logic PCI SCSI card in my B2000 system to drive an external DAT drive with no ill effects.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi again Tex,

Here's a direct quote from HP's Rick Jones - one of my favorites:

\Quote
Do you simply want the card to work, or do you want the card to be supported? There is a difference in HP speak

Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)
$
\EndQuote

So it boils down to your comfort level. In Production mine has to be VERY high. As we migrate down the environment chain, the requirement recedes a little for me.

Rgds,
Jeff

P.S. How'd the 'Horns do this weekend? I'm in Jayhawk country, but grew up in Illinois so I'm an Illini fan so I don't follow the Big 12 much.
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!