cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A500-6X and 7X - Need manufacture dates

Clifton Smith
Occasional Advisor

A500-6X and 7X - Need manufacture dates

I support HP systems globally, and we are entering a tech refresh cycle for our environment. I have some A500-6X and A500-7X servers produced in Europe and Asia that I cannot determine manufacturing dates for based on the serial number... Does anyone know of a link where I can find information about how to decode the serial number to get the manufacturing date of a server not produced in NA (also NA would be nice as well). Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Re: A500-6X and 7X - Need manufacture dates

I dont have the link but the old school way of determining the manufacture date via the HP system serial number is as follows:

Add 60 to the first two numbers of the serial number, this is the year of manufacture. The second two numbers of the serial number are the week of manufacture. I have made an example of 2 systems that we have here.

K460 sn# 3741A45525 = 97 (1997) the 41st week of the year
D390-2 way sn# 3930A89201 = 99 (1999) the 30th week of the year

Hope this helps

Jesse
Cypress Technology Inc
Clifton Smith
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Jesse - Unfortunately, most of these systems are A-Class and start with serial number prefixes like "DE" and "SG" which indicate that they were produced in Europe and Asia respectively. I also have some "USL" prefixes that were produced in the US. The logic as you have presented it doesn't quite work out for those...
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Clifton Smith
Occasional Advisor

Well Jesse, we are getting warmer.... :-) This gave me dates for all of the support warranties for the server itself (which is good data to have and I did not know how to find it). However, the manufacture date for the server itself is not listed here amongst all the other information. Keep the ideas coming !! Thanks
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I poked around internally. Any chance the serial number follows a convention like:

CC S YY WW ZZZ

CC would be country code
S would be a supply site/vendor code
YY would be the two digits of the year starting with 2000
WW would be the week

If you could post some examples of the serial numbers in question that would be good.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows