1753783 Members
7141 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A500 Memory / controller errors.

Steven  Bucek
Frequent Advisor

A500 Memory / controller errors.

Would the wrong part number memory cause these errors? I used this box last week to test a processor terminator with a pair of a3863-66501 (1gb kit) and did not have any problems. I know I should be using either A5572A,a5840a,a5841a,or a6114a but I don't have any on hand at this moment. Using an a500 (a5570) with a 440 processor, master and slave vrm and no drives.

Attached is the giant log of errors.

Why does it indicate Main Memory MISSING also?
--To go forward, you must backup
4 REPLIES 4
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Error code starting with 7 is memory related only.

Though both are SDRAM but be it's specific to some model of the systems. I generally search the compatibility of the part in partsurfer (http://partsurfer.hp.com) before I try using them.

Now in your case either the memory is defective or not compatible. You may test the memory in one of the compatible system.

Regds
TT

Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen that particular failure. Can you move your suspect board to another part of memory and see if the error follows the board ?
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Steven,
That A3863-66501 is workstation memory, not designed for the A Class server. You are probably experiencing a timing issue, bus speed is probably way off. That's also why it's showing up as "missing", the system doesn't understand what is installed and is doing it's best to tell you that. If you get to BCH, try running an "IN ME" (INfo MEmory) to see if any memory is being seen in the system.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Steven  Bucek
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all your input, I have found the solution.

The problem turned out to be the processor terminator. Of the 3 proc-terms I had in the lab, 2 had 1 little fuzzy button missing, the other one looked fine but still didn't work. I pulled a proc-term from a working machine and I was able to boot to the PDC without any gsp errors. I tried these bad proc-terms in the working A thats WAS in production (heh) and the errors followed.

What I dont understand is why the gsp reported the 'memory' and 'controller' errors, had me looking in the wrong place.

10000 points for everyone!!
--To go forward, you must backup