6251 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A500 SMS 11.0 -> 11i

Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

A500 SMS 11.0 -> 11i

Hello Gurus,
How are other admins maintaining the A500 SMS station for the SuperDome. My Dome is maintained very well with the latest patches and firmware. The SMS station is lagging behind with 11.0, without many patch updates. I'm considering upgrading to 11i. The thing is, that it has specific software bundles on it which don't come as part of the regular customer application bundles (such as the Firmware Update Utility package, the Scan Tool package, etc.). If I were to reinstall it, that software media would have to be located for reinstall also.
Is this software available to regular customers? Has anyone attempted this?
Thanks in advance- Joan
8 REPLIES 8
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Joan,

The SMS systems here for our 'Domes are owned & maintained by HP. We don't even have logins on these systems. It's up to HP to upgrade or patch them. Frankly, if they can do what they're designed for & since they don't do any other work - like run an application or such - I don't really care what level OS or patch bundle they're running.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jeff,
Interesting - Do you have any extended support other than CSS, such as HP onsite? HP has been great with the Dome, I guess I should push a little harder for the SMS support. The reason that I've questioned the maintenance is because this system has surfaced in an audit, revealing that patches are out of date.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Did You see this thread from last week?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=940168

I think it's a good idea to keep it up to date, if You can press HP into it, or otherwise at least give it some firewall protection (and vice versa). In my opinion it's a critical issue, I do not want to imagine the joy any person breaking into it might feel when he takes down a whole consolidated company at once. :(
(WOOOT, finally someone can port NetBSD into Superdome's firmware?!)
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Hi Florian,
I agree, this system is far too important. I'll open a CSS call with HP and let you know what they say. By the way, great link!
Rgds,
Joan
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

If it turns into an enhancement request of some kind and it has a number, then I'll open a call and refer it.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Joan,

did You yet get some feedback from HP?

Florian
Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner - I ended up staying at 11.0 and applying the latest patches supplied in a bundle built specifically for this A class.
Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.