6782 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A500 Won't exit GSP Mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
La Mar Walker

A500 Won't exit GSP Mode

I have a A500(rp2400) that when I go to clear the errors I can't exit the GSP Mode to get to the main menu. Any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

did you try the "gsp> co" (console) command?

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

If co and a couple of returns doesnt do the trick like robert has suggested, then you may have a fatal hardware error.

What were the errors you cleared/read?

It could be that the system needs attention and cannot boot properly

Andy
La Mar Walker

Thank you, yes I typed "co" at the GSP> from there it just sit there doing nothing. I attached what I do & what I see afterwards, it seems to be frozen or just hung up.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Since the GSP is working, the co (console) command is also working -- your HP-UX system is hung or not running. If you can hit return and you see the cursor move down the page, HP-UX is running but there is no program talking to the console at the moment. If nothing happens with CR then HP-UX is likely not running. Just use the GSP command rs to reset the computer so it will reboot. If you have to know exactly what happened, use tc rather than rs and your system will create a crasah dump that you can send to HP for analysis.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

did you try the instructions in your gsp log posted?

Leaving Console Mode - you may lose write access.
When Console Mode returns, type ^Ecf to get console write access.

Also is this remotely or are you at the local console atttched to the server? is the server in hpux? or just booting and throwing this error? it looks like its just booting and you have an error stoppping it from booting? which is were you have to acknowledge the error.

Andy
La Mar Walker

I apologize I'm doing this without any hard drives or HP-UX. Would that make a difference? I Can't get any reply typing Crtl-Ecf. I'm using hyper-terminal to access thru the console port. Once I get past this point I usually do a bios update, then I check the rest of the settings.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

I need to explain what the difference between is between the computer and the GSP. The A500 is the computer where HP-UX runs. If you have no hard disks then your computer is responding correctly. There is nothing in memory so the computer is halted and you have confirmed that behavior. You need to put something in memory before the computer will do anything. IF you're familiar with a PC, the GSP is a fancy BIOS with it's own processor. But like a PC or a Mac, etc, the computer does nothing without something meaningful in memory.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
La Mar Walker

Thank you Bill, I fix PC & now our company is venturing into these. Is there a resource you know of that will point me into the right direction to get parts & info on these RP2450's & RP2470's?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The best location for documentation is:

docs.hp.com

The manual you need is:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/2411/rp24xx_customer.pdf

You'll find almost nothing in common with a PC including the OS.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin