HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748252 Members
3975 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A500 freezes during PDC relocation

Rashmi P. Hegde

A500 freezes during PDC relocation

I work on a A500 server with 2 disks, one having 11.23 sept 2004 OS and the other disk having 11.11 Dec 2004 OS.
My work involves constant reboot and reinstall of the OS. Lately I am not able to boot from 11.11.The boot freezes at PDC relocation.
But 11.23 works fine.
I updated the PDC version to 43.50 few days back and the problem seemed to disappear but again after 2 or 3 reboots it has reappeared. Kindly let me know if anyone faced a similar problem.
Currently, the GSP version is A.01.12.
7 REPLIES 7
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

If I understand well

You have two disk with 11.23 and
two disks with 11.11

Have you moved disks from physical location after you installed the OS?
Rashmi P. Hegde

I have one disk with 11.11 and the other with 11.23. And the disks havent been moved.
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

I think the most easy solution is

1) put the 11i disks back in the orginal location
2) boot the OS
3) Create an ignite tape
4) Change the disks againt
5) Restore the os from the boot tape

You you can try with the command's but then you have to know the new devices file, but in this case you have to put the disks back in the original location and modify (with the new device files))

/stand/bootconf
mkboot -a "hpux ($HW_PATH;0)/stand/vmunix" $RDEV
Rashmi P. Hegde

Thanks for your reply.
But as I said earlier I have not moved the disks physically. Hence the entry in /stand/bootconf is correct.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The PDC relocation phase of the boot process is rather hard to troubleshoot, because it does not give much output.

Are there any messages in the GSP error log?

Try this:
When you boot the server, wait until the selftests are completed. Pick the correct disk to boot from. When the boot reaches the ISL phase, go to the GSP prompt and select Virtual Front Panel (the VFP command). Press Y to go to the VFP Live mode.

This should print out a stream of four-digit status codes. If/when the server freezes, the last status codes before the freeze might tell something about the problem.
MK
Rashmi P. Hegde

Here is the VFP log.
Even 11.11 install from ignite server in the same subnet fails at the same point.

TIA
Rashmi.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

It seems that you are getting software problem , may be a panic coming from a application software. It is clear from the Alert that systen is running non-OS code , hence I guess there is no issue with PDC.

Now you to to check the console log from GSP to get a clue about source of problem.
Last few entries in CL could give you clues.

As mentioned in the live VFP log, CL entry having "0xF8E000C01100B800 00000000 0000B800" would be the culprit of system panic.