1748129 Members
3593 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A500 not recognizing DDS4(C6369A)

daniel smith_3
Frequent Advisor

A500 not recognizing DDS4(C6369A)

Hi, all! I have an A500 that was running fine until a few weeks ago when all of a sudden our DDS4 dat drive just disappeared. I, and HP thought it was a bad drive so we replaced it, but the replacement was not recognized either! Attached are some log files that will hopefully help. I have been going blind looking over these so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. By the way I have tried the dat on both built in scsi ports, and I have other tape arrays on those scsi ports that are recognized.
thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Your ioscan -fun listing shows the C5683A (DDS4 tape drive) so it is responding to SCSI ID commands. When you run ioscan without -k, it will query every device to produce the listing. Try mt -f dev/rmt/0m status

This should produce a status from the drive. If that doesn't work, list the error message. When you say 'disappeared', do you mean that a backup program can't use the device (/dev/rmt/0m)?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Dan,
With a DDS4 tape in the drive try running the following command:

tar cv /etc

This will attempt to copy the /etc directory to the tape drive. Since this is the /dev/rmt/0m device you will not need to specify the device file. To read what you have just written to the tape, run the following:

tar -tv

and this will rewind and read the tape.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Daniel,

From the ioscan, we can see the tape drive with CLAIMED status. This mean the system still recognised the tape drive.

You can try to use 'tar' command to check whether the tape drive can work properly or not :

# tar cvf /dev/rmt/0m /tmp

To check (see the contain of the tape) use this command below :

# tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m

If this doesn't work, you can try to call HP again to check or replace it again (if necessary).

Hope this can help you.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Adisuria Wangsadinata
now working, next not working ... that's unix