108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

A5838A Dual SCSI Dual 10/100 Card Terminators

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Fitch_1
Advisor

A5838A Dual SCSI Dual 10/100 Card Terminators

I have a system with an A5838A combo card. The two SCSI adapters on the card are unused. I seem to vaguely recall reading somewhere that these adapters are self terminating. Is this right or do I need to terminate?

I realize that if I attach SCSI devices to either adapter, then the last device in the chain requires termination, but what if there are no devices.

Thanks in advance....... Frank
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: A5838A Dual SCSI Dual 10/100 Card Terminators

Hi Frank,

IF there are no external devices, no terminators are required on the external nor internal ports. I *think* there are jumpers on the board that define this & I'll check one of mine tomorrow. But the default is generally to self-terminate the side w/o devices attached.
Rule of thumb is that IF there are devices on *just* one end, i.e. either internal OR external - not both - then you terminate the side with devices & not the other. OR if devices are on both sides - you terminate both sides.
I'll get back to you.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
If the SCSI card is not connected to a device,
there is no need to terminate. As soon as you plug in devices, you have to terminate either the devices or the cable.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Frank Fitch_1
Advisor

Thanks for the fast responses --- much appreciated !!! Frank
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Frank,

OK - I dug up my docs on the 5838 & there are indeed jumpers on the board for the SCSI.
Labeled JA1 (SCSI B) & JA2 (SCSI A).
Jumper ON => autotermination is OFF

You *only* need to disable autotermination when the HBA is in the middle of the bus - i.e. there are *both* internal and external devices attached.

BTW - the part # for the doc is A5838-90001

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!