4689 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

AB309A memory

Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

AB309A memory

Hi,

I have tried to install several different kits of AB309A memory in an RP8420 as well as an RP7420 and tried different cell boards.What I get is when I look at the memory it see's the first 2 sticks and reads as 4 gig which this is correct , but it says' the second two are deconfigured.I have tried several different sets and have switched the around but I still get the same results.Has anyone come across this before.

Thanks in advanced for your help.
Jon
7 REPLIES 7
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: AB309A memory

Hi,

"Deconfigured" DIMMs could appear if the load order is not followed.

There is specific DIMM load order in these servers.
Refer following doc for rp8420 ( page 10 onwards)
http://docs.hp.com/en/A6912-96008/A6912-96008.pdf
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply.I have the memory in the correct order.I also know there is nothing wrong with the cell board because I can put lower memory in the same slots and it see's the memory fine.It is just when I use this other memory.I do not know if there is a firmware issue I am not aware of.I have 8 memory kits doing exactly the same thing.

Jon
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am not aware of a SFW issue with the memory kit. But having latest firmware always helps.

I do suspect the cell board version compatabilty.

Can you provide more info like
SYSREV , ME , FRU , IO , PR , SEL,FPL etc.
while memory installed.
Can you confirm the slots numbers you are using on both the servers?
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Jon,

you mention you see "lower memory" in the slots which do not take the new DIMMs.

I guess this means you have smaller DIMMS with less memory which work.

A general rule when adding memory is to put the largest DIMMs in the lowest numbered slots. Therefore I would fill the first quad(s) with the new memory and then add the original smaller DIMMs in the higher numbered slots.

Second, I assume your smaller DIMMs are all of the same size. If not, and consequently you would end up having DIMMs of three different sizes, this may not work.

Regards,
Bernhard
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

I am only putting in the new memory.I am not mixing any memory.I am using slots oA oB 1A 1B .

Jon
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Take a look at the cell board.
Do you see the slot numbering appears on the cell board as follows when viewed from front with backplane connection at bottom ?
Left Right
1D 0D
3D 2D
3C 2C
1C 0C
1B 0B
3B 2B
3A 2A
1A 0A

If yes, install the sticks in this sequence and see if you see all memory configured.
1A - 1B - 1C - 1D - Quad 1

Can you post the details I asked in my last post?
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your time
Jon