New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding CPU for L2000 Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nik Ghazali Nik Su
Occasional Contributor

Adding CPU for L2000 Server

Hello,
I plan to add 1 more CPU to L2000 server. Currently the server has only 1 CPU.
I would like to seek the advise about :

i. Do I need to purchase the Processor Support Module for additional CPU ?
ii. Does the server is intelligent enough to detect another CPU or we need to install patches/software in order for the server to recognise the additional CPU ?
iii. Does PA8500 1.5 MB cache, 440 Mhz still available in the market? If not where can I get this model of CPU.

6 REPLIES 6
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Nik,

In reference to (i) above; You only need an additional PSM for the 3rd and 4th processor. Each one supports two processors (on both the L and N Class servers.

In reference to (ii) above; You do not need to do anything but install the processor and then make sure the boot diagnostics do not show processor related errors.

In reference to (iii) above; I believe you can still buy the 440's from HP, but you would be better off going through a certified re-seller. You will probably get them for 40-50% off the HP list price. You could even do an E-bay search and find some vendor names. Make sure they are certified prior to purchasing though, as it can get really expensive to have HP certify the hardware after the fact.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor

hi,

hope the following answers help:

1) 1 processor support module only supports 2 CPUs.

2) it would not auto-detect, follow this:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=234062

3) you may only get it remarketed, HP has stopped production of this CPU.

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, what you have in your server will be one cpu and a terminator, which will have to be removed in order to fit your new cpu. Unless you are very competent it is not a job to be done lightly as the cpu has to be screwed in a fixed manner. The screws are numbered and you have to go round the 4 screws one at a time in the sequence marked on the top. Of course you will have to remove the teminator carefully and save it. There will be no problem with the system picking it up, once it is installed
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi yes you can plug it in and go but you must be aware that if you have a HP maintainence contract and you fit it yourself and ANYTHING happens to the machine you will be to blame and the warranty / support / maintainence agreement will be invalid

:-) John.
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Two more things;
1) There is an order to adding CPU's to an L or N class (I do not know what it is). You can put them in any slot, but if they are not populated in the proper order, you may have to go into the GSP and enable the additional proc.

2) The fuzzy buttons (the reddish pink connector at the bottom) should always be new when installed. Do to their design, they tend to get a connection memory and when removed and re-installed, the contact is not optimal anymore. Generally, they work for a while, then start getting flaky. That is the best reason of all for an HP installation, as they always replace the fuzzy buttons during installs.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Suresh Patoria
Super Advisor

Hi All

can any abody tell me what is price of 440MHz CPU price HP and re-seller

Thanx