Re: Adding RAM to L1000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK - I see.
Also I believe that HP recommends the larger DIMM modules be installed in the lower slots.
So you may want to shift those around so the 512 DIMMs are in 0a/b & 1a/b & the 256 DIMMs in 2a/b & 3a/b

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Ron Brown_2
Frequent Advisor

Jeff: Ah ha! Thanks! That makes sense; I'll give it a go. I had never read that anywhere.
should work...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

And make absolutely sure that they're firmly seated!

Pete

Pete
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

the recommendation of putting the largest modules in the lowest slots is for performance reasons. The modules should be visible and working if inserted in the opposite manner.

You can view the installed memory from the ISL (INF), you do not have to boot your system completely.

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Jim Thomas_5
Advisor

Note that the best way to check for proper addition of memory is via the BCH (Boot Console Handler) INfo MEmory command. It will give you good details on the memory congfiguration that System Selftest has configured - as well as point out any errors it encountered. The next best way is via the "MAPPER" utility (ODE Utility run at ISL). Also note that the L1000 is firmware limited to 4GB of memory max (PDC release < 40.19) or 8GB memory max (PDC 40.19 +).