HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752666 Members
5588 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding disks to L2000/rp5450 server.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gino Castoldi_2
Honored Contributor

Adding disks to L2000/rp5450 server.

Hi,

Background information:
Model: 9000/800/L2000-44 (rp5450)
The server itself has slots for 4 internal hard drives. Two are being used (9.1GB LVD's)
I want to add at least one more hard drive
(either 9.1GB LVD and/or 18.2GB LVD).

Can I just "plug" the disk(s) in and then format them or do I need to shutdown the server/OS first? What should the procedures be for adding an internal disk?

(10 points to any good answer).
Thank you Gino.
3 REPLIES 3
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Gino,

The disks should be formatted already from the factory. You can plug the disk in without shutting down. After installing the disk, perform an , this will install the special files for the disk. Verify the files were created by . After that, add the disk in Volume Manager as you normally would.

HTH,

Dave
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Gino

All you ahve to do is to plug in , you dont even ahve to switch off the system , though personally I recommned taht you switch off teh system ,attache the device and tehn reboot it . If you want to try it then do it w/o switching off and then do a insf and you will get the new device file.
Then doa pvcreate -f < new device file > though just pvcreate will work . Incas eyou want to attach to the exisiting vg's use vgextend or vgcreate in case you want to add to a new vg.

Manoj Srivastava
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

you can pull the disks and you can plug them in live.

there are lots of things which in theory can be done, if you have the option to power down be safe rather than possibly sorry.

cheers
John.