108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advantages of a SNMP card in the Powertrust II UPS

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

Advantages of a SNMP card in the Powertrust II UPS

We are in the process of ordering a new HP9000 server with a Powertrust II UPS. I am trying to find more details about the A1359A SNMP/Web adapter. The only thing I can find is a sentence which states that it replaces the 9DB communications port and the 9DB port is used to configure the A1359A card. Is anybody using one of these cards and if so , how does it work and what advantages does it give.
Many thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Advantages of a SNMP card in the Powertrust II UPS

I've never used it, but I think when this card is installed UPS events can be managed by management software like NNM (Network Node Manager), but not only serial cable connected to one dedicated host
Eugeny
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Advantages of a SNMP card in the Powertrust II UPS

We use similar cards on our UPS's. They just give you an Ethernet connection to the UPS. This way you can have it send SNMP messages and traps to a central monitor so you will know if it needs a new battery or is having some sort of problem or has gotten unplugged from the wall. Doesn't have to be OpenView. I use a free program syslog daemon from Kiwi Enterprises to collect the SNMP messages: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

Mine will even send me email when it has something to say. You can also set up the UPS via the cards - some UPS's like to run battery tests periodically and you can adjust the schedule so that you don't have to listen to it going peep peep peep during working hours.

Ron