1754014 Members
5471 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

At rp7410; can't install 11i on second partition

Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

At rp7410; can't install 11i on second partition

Another department lets me use their rp7410. They take out their two drives and I put in two drives.

I have created a genesis (#1) partition and a second (#0) partition. Note that on the 7410 the first partition is partition 1 and the second partition is partition 0.

Via Ignite, I was able to install 11i on the genesis partition and boot to the OS.

I can access the BCH for the second partition.
I cannot install on the second partition.
I cannot use the CD-drive, because it belongs to the genesis partition.

Ignite/network instllations also fail.
I type "boot lan.192.168.11.1 install", answer 'N' at the ISL prompt, and the attempt to contact the Ignite server immediately fails.
(It works for the genesis partition)

I have 3 Ethernet cables connected to the rp7410. One to the MP lan, and the others to the LAN cards (at far left and far right of PCI IO cage).
I think the Ignite server is set up correctly with the MAC-addresses for the MP and cell boards.

I've checked the simple things like checking connections, checking cables, etc.

The other department's people say "Ignite worked for us". They say they have been able to install on the second partition.

Any ideas what else to try so I can install 11i on the second partition.

Thanks,

Ed
8 REPLIES 8
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Re: At rp7410; can't install 11i on second partition

Are you using nPars or vPars?
Mom 6
Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

These are nPars.
Thanks.
Quick update: Both LAN cards check out fine.
I'm currently looking at the cell configuration for each partition. I have a feeling somthing differs.

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Do you have two cell boards, and two core I/O cards?
Mom 6
Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

Two cell boards; two lan cards (at far left and far right) in PCI cage. The second partition appears to be created, but I cannot put on OS on that second "hardware partition". Thank you.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Each core I/O board set on the rp7410 consists of two cards. One that has a DB-25 connector which connects to a W cable for the Console/Remote/UPS connections and a Management Processor LAN. The other card in the set should have an Ultra 160 SCSI and a Gigabit LAN connector. To support hard partitioning, you should have two of these sets. In this case you have two MP connections. Do you have the second core I/O board set? Can you connect to the second Management Processor to see what is going on. If you have set up hard partitioning correctly, the second partition can't see the first MP.
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Assuming you have the right hardware, another way to say this is, to boot the second hard partition you have to do it through the second management processor. Your message seems to only talk about the MP lan as a single item, not the two separate entities that it should be for hard partitions.
Mom 6
Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, I want to thank you for the assistance.
The other department has taken the system back, as I am going on a business trip for next week.
I had to take my drives out, and they took the system, and will put their drives back in.
I just ran out of time. When I get back, I'll see if I can get the system again. I will save you replies. Thanks again.

Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

(see above)