108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BPS alert for an RP7410

SOLVED
Go to solution
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

BPS alert for an RP7410

Hello, I'm having an issue with a bulk power supply for an RP7410. The LED is yellow which indicates it has a recoverable fault. Essentially I'm wondering if the power supply needs to be replaced or if the problem relates to input power. I included some details from the management processor below. Since support is currently expired for this server I'd rather not order a part unless it's needed. There were no issues booting in this condition however the other supply is running normally. In case it's relevant the server is hard partitioned.

MP:CM> de
Select device: b (bulk power supplies)
Enter slot number: 0
Cached or Actual data [C]/A: a

48 Volt rail V/I State
Overvolt: ok
Undervolt: FLT
Overcurrent: ok
V0(v): 49
V1(v): 0
I(A): 5

Standby rail OVERCURRENT/UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT

Active AC lines = 0 1

MP: CM> ps
Select Device: T - Cabinet

HW status for rp7410 cabinet : FAILURE DETECTED

Power Redundancy : redundant
Power Viability : viable

AC Line status:
Line A0 Present
Line A1 Present
Line B0 Present
Line B1 Present

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Kevin
5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: BPS alert for an RP7410

Assuming the input power source of each BPS is separate and not inter-connected, I would inter-change the input power source and see if that makes any difference.

Although the symptom you are dealing with is not mentioned in the customer advisory c00519570, it's worth to verify if the case is applicable.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00519570&jumpid=em_EL_Alerts/US/Apr06_ALL/Alerts
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

This server has been running for a few years with the same power configuration and I'm not seeing alerts on any other servers. I was somewhat hoping the serial number matched the range in the product alert but it's older.
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

in the PS output we can see that all four power cables are connected:

AC Line status:
Line A0 Present
Line A1 Present
Line B0 Present
Line B1 Present

but in the de output on the power supply we see

V1(v): 0

This should be 48 V !

Together with the other errors you see (f.e.

"Standby rail OVERCURRENT/UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT
Active AC lines = 0 1" )

I would say, that this powersupply is defect. If you have a downtime, then you could try to swap the BPS to make sure it is not a problem with the connector (I do not think so).

Attention: At least two power lines must be connected (and recognized) to power on a rp7410 although one power line is enough to continue running an already powered on rp7410.

best regards

Stefan
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

Stefan,

Thanks for clarifying the running and boot requirements. It sounds like I could lose the good supply and the server would continue to function. Since it's used only for test applications I'm trying to weigh the risk versus cost of a replacement BPS.

- Kevin
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

I'm ordering a replacement part.