108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Booting L3000 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
kevin poole_1
Frequent Advisor

Booting L3000 server

I am trying to load hpux on an L3000, I know I have to stop the boot process and enter in the path that i actually want it to boot from. My problem is that i ca only get into the GSP menu and the console login. I do not know the login and password, have tried root,admin, just enter through it but none of them work. I have just install a dvd drive in the system and that is what I am trying to boot from with no luck. Thank you in advance for your help.
5 REPLIES 5
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: Booting L3000 server

Howdy,
issue "rs" at the GSP prompt, this will cause the box to reboot through the hardware reset.

Do a "co" to go back to console and wait to interrupt the boot process at the BCH prompt
Type sea to search for bootable devices and boot from the dvd rom by typing the appropriate number.
I take it the dvd-rom works OK?

HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

kevin,

To get into the BCH menu to boot from the dvd, just let the system boot and when it has passed its selftests it will enter BCH automatically. You should get a prompt to press any key to stop auto booting.

You should ideally be on a local console for this.

If you do not know the login for the GSP, you can reset it, but you will need to be on the local console for this.

You need to remove the right hand side cover, and from here you can see the GSP card. On this there is a reset button. This will reset all passwords and lan information.

Once pressed you have a few seconds before you get asked to press p to confirm the reset.

Then you can login to the gsp and do as you please. type co to go back to console mode.

You do not need to enter gsp though to select your boot path at pdc, like i said before. just wait until all the selftests have scrolled passed, this could easily take a few minutes depending upon the config.

Andy
kevin poole_1
Frequent Advisor

I have let the process run and I have not seen the prompt to interrupt booting. It goes from the initial sys check to the console login, or I can ctrl b and get into the GSP prompt. Does any key stop the boot process?
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

kevin,

yes,any key at the correct time should do it, but you need to see when.

by the login prompt i presume you mean you already have an install of hpux on there and it goes straight to there.

if this is the case, it is likely that the vfp has been turned off. to turn this back on go into the GSP and type vfp, you have to answer yes to confirm to turning it back on. then type co to return to console mode. then reboot the server, and you should see all the system self tests scrolling up the screen. when these have finished you will get to the bch menu.

If you want to make sure it does not go any further and boot up into hpux then pull out the os disk first. this will force the system to stop at BCH. you will get an error in the gsp logs for you to clear though, but then you can return to the pdc menu with the co command again.

Andy
kevin poole_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to everyone.