cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU_FAN_SLOW / FAILED on rp7410

Tony Horton
Frequent Advisor

Re: CPU_FAN_SLOW / FAILED on rp7410

The L/rp54X series has a separate card that plugs into the main CPU board. I haven't seen a 74x series machine, just assumed it would be similar :)

Our problem also went away after a hard reset, but only for 2 hours to 2 days then returned, the problem eventually got worse and would happen almost immediately. One tell tale sign was that the main cabinet fans (The L class doesn't have any fans on the CPU's themselves) were running at a speed somewhere between maximum and normal, and if you changed the speed at the initial boot prompt to high they hardly changed at all (if anything they slowed down a bit!).

Hope it's just a glitch and the firmware update and reset has fixed it for you. I remember seeing a firmware notice from HP mentioning problems with the fans.

Regards,

Tony.
No man is an isthmus
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

The rp7410 is not a "standard" rp74XX system.
It's a cell-based system like the rp8400 & SuperDomes.
It can host 2 hard partitions - nPars - and doesn't use the same power monitor HW/FW like a rp7450/7470 uses.
It's really more like a SuperDome than a N-class.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!

Hi again,

Unfortunately the server failed again after only 30 minutes from keeping it running for test.

Today and after intensive troubleshooting, I discovered that the source of this Fault is simply the Cell Board and not the CPU/Fan itself. I have swapped CPU0 and CPU1 and the "ps" was still showing CPU0 Fan Failed!!!
I have gotten also a new Cell Board which I have installed using the same CPUs and everything is working fine since more than 5 hours now (hope it will continue....).

I've read some of you saying that we can change the CPU Fan speed from the GSP, how do we do it? Because this might be the problem of this Cell Board or what do you think?

Cheers,
Charbel

Tony Horton
Frequent Advisor

Hi Charbel,

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that you can change the fan speed at the initial boot prompt (interupt when it says press any key within 10 seconds to interupt). I'm not sure but I think it was something like fan high/fan normal probably from the service menu. I never actually did it myself (watched the engineer do it) so I'm a little unsure.

Regards,

Tony.
No man is an isthmus
Tony Horton
Frequent Advisor

Just did a bit of a search it's under the configuration menu not the service menu at the Boot console handler (hope this is the same on an rp7410 as it is on an L class)....

Regards,

Tony.
No man is an isthmus