HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753877 Members
7256 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cable spec for K Class external modem port?

SOLVED
Go to solution
steve_586
Frequent Advisor

Cable spec for K Class external modem port?

Hi,

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to where i can get the pinouts for the 25pin external modem port on a K100 please?
Any other 'modem issues' with using this port would be useful aswell.

Many Thanks :)
3 REPLIES 3
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Steve,

If you want to connect a modem to the external modem port on the core i/o card you can use an HP cable, p/n 92219Q. The pinout of this cable is:

1 1
2 3
3 2
4 8
6 20
7 7
8 4
9 22
20 6
22 5
23 23

The cable is directional, the left side is for the modem, the right for the server. The connectors are both DB25 male.

You asked about other modem issues with this port. This port is shared with the internal modem; ie you can have one or the other. If you use Predict, it will require exclusive use of the modem on that port (not great if you're wanting to send faxes out, for example!) If HP needs to dial in to the box, the internal modem is the quick and easy way to access the remote console. I'd suggest that using a separate mux port would be a better option, eg a spare port on the MDP.

A side issue is that the K100 is now out of support.

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
steve_586
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for that Darren,
I wanted to use their 16 port RJ45 mux but it is a J2092A which according to my net searching does not support modem connections :(

Will make the cable up and give it a go.

Again, many thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply.
Ken Burke
Advisor

You are correct the J2092A did not support modems.

The J2094A did support modems, but if I rememeber rightly only later revisions of it were supported in K class systems.

Ken