108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot get 9000/803 back on-line

SOLVED
Go to solution
tim elgee
Occasional Contributor

Cannot get 9000/803 back on-line

We have an old 9000/803 server with HPUX B.10.20 that emulates a customers environment. Unfortunatly there is no video driver card in the box, so I cannot tell what is happening on reboot. From a remote system I performed a reboot as root. The system recycled, with the little panel display showing "RUN F11F" and "HP 220". After awhile the top line of the panel displays the code "RUN F01F". Regardless, I cannot telnet or ping the machine! Any suggestions.... Anyone
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cannot get 9000/803 back on-line

If it is showing 'RUN F01F' in the display then it has booted up and is running, with a 0 load and 1 CPU.

It sounds as if you have networking issues. Check your lan cable. Check the switch or router or whatever the machine is plugged into. Check the back of the machine and see if there are any lights around the network cable and if they are lit or blinking.

You should have a serial connection on this box. If you have something like a 700/96 terminal you should be able to attach it and access the box.
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

I agree with Patrick. Without a system console attached, this problem is going to be hard to diagnose and fix.

9000/803 is a D220 model. The user's manual is here:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/A3262-90013.pdf

You can read up on the console port and attaching a console.
tim elgee
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Scot and Patrick, at least I know that the machine is running OK,.. it's just not talk'n to anyone. I checked out the lan cable and card and all seem OK. The connected lan card was in an expansion slot, had one steady light, and one that looked to be a heart-beat. I removed the cable and placed it into the 10baseT port, and got a steady red light from the indicator. However, I still could not ping to the machine.

We of course have no serial terminals here. Could I use "putty" or "hummingbird" and emulate a serial/dumb terminal from a PC via the serial connection. It looks to be a standard (huh?) 9pin connection. Are there any tricks to this, like a crossover cable required?
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Found another post on that:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=146506

Looks like a standard serial printer cable will connect to a PC with null-modem.

Also, if your server has a graphics card, the manuals say you may be able to get a graphics console up with a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Another option, some of these shipped with a remote Web Console device (a small box with velcro on it).

Final option: if you have any serial concentrators around (black box, lantronix, Cisco) maybe you can rig a connection to one of those.
tim elgee
Occasional Contributor

Ok Guys, I need just a little more help.

No video card in the machine, and we want to do this on the cheap. I cannot find a direct replacement hp700/96 terminal for this box on e-bay, but there are a pile of Wyse GPTs that can be had for less than $100!

What are the basics that I am lookin for in a GPT that will allow me to connect and get this baby rockin?
Serial port?
ASCII/ANSI?
VT100/Unix console?
any other personalities that I am missing?

Thanks - tim