108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cell Power Board Replacement on PA8800 SuperDome

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron DeBorde
Occasional Contributor

Cell Power Board Replacement on PA8800 SuperDome

Single Cell Partition OS was properly shutdown. Performed a PE for the proper cell slot to turn power off. Replaced the Cell Power Board and tried to PE cell slot back on. Message received was power state unavailable for slot. Slot not populated. I was unable to PE the power back on for the cell slot. Fortunately this is a newer system that did not have activity on it. We were able to power down the entire complex and power it back up without any issues relating to the cell slot referenced above. Did I do something incorrectly or overlook something? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
timmy b.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cell Power Board Replacement on PA8800 SuperDome

Ron,
It sounds like you did exactly what needs to be done. I'm adding memory to a cell on a SD tomorrow, and that is exactly the procedure that I am going to follow. I'll let you know what happens....
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Well, deja vue.

Ron, I did the two memory upgrades this morning. Both were similar to your situation, in that I was taking out a cell board from a single cell partition. After the OS was completely down, I PE'd the cell OFF, pulled it and did the memory upgrade. The first went smoothly. The second one did NOT. None of the lights on the cell came back on when I slid it back into the complex, they should come on immediately even with the cell slot PE'd off. I got the same "unavailable" message and was unable to PE the slot. I reseated the cell and the lights came on like they should. I could PE the cell, and it booted normally. I can only think that this is a seating issue. Possibly a hang on the backplane, but it shouldn't have cleared itself if that were the case. The cluster is back up and all packages are running. I hope you're having the same kind of luck!

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

something like this could happen if you do not follow the correct procedure to unmount and remount the cellboard.
The cellboards are not intended as customer replacable units (CRUs) and only trained people should replace the components that are not CRUs.
The cellboard must not plug fully into the backplane before the powerboard have been attached, otherwise 48 V are going through a cell without a powerboard and strange things could happen to this Slot. A full powercycle is needed to get the cell slot back to life.
Please call the HP support center for additional details or better ask a Superdome trained engineer to do the upgrade.

I hope this helps

Stefan
Ron DeBorde
Occasional Contributor

Case solved and closed. The cell power board must be attached to the cell board before seating the cell board into the system backplane. Thanks to all that responded.
Ron DeBorde
Occasional Contributor

thanks