4659 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Change out 18GB drives for 73GB drives in HVD10 Array

spex
Honored Contributor

Change out 18GB drives for 73GB drives in HVD10 Array

Hi all,

I'm looking to increase storage on one of our development servers. We have an HVD10 with ten 18GB 10K LVD disk modules connected to an HP9000 K460 that will soon be taken out of service. ioscan shows the disk model to be SEAGATE ST318404LC. The array is in full-bus mode.

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap out these disks for 73GB Seagate ST373207LC's, but reuse the disk carriers. Has anyone done this before? Would the carriers need to be reconfigured (via dip switches, jumpers, or some such)?

Provided I'm successful at swapping out the drives, I'd like to switch the array to split-bus mode, and attach each set of five disks to its own disk controller, then set up RAID 1 through Mirrordisk/UX. Are there any potential problems or pitfalls that anyone sees?

Thanks for your input!

PCS
2 REPLIES 2
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: Change out 18GB drives for 73GB drives in HVD10 Array

HVD10 didn't sound familiar to me - after a quick web search, it seems the HVD10 is a disc enclosure, not an array.

The "HVD" part, coupled with its being connected to a K460 leads me to believe HVD here stands for "High Voltage Differential" As such, you best be careful connecting it to something else. If the discs in it are not "native" HVD discs, they may very well have small converter boards on them.

That same websearch suggests that at one point at least HP sold an A6276A 73 GB disc that would go into the thing.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Change out 18GB drives for 73GB drives in HVD10 Array

The HVD10 is the predecessor to the SC10.

It is using LVD/SE drives, but the connection interface to the host is HVD.

Depending on where you get the drives, they could be non-HP (different firmware) but third party and this may cause some problems.

Since this is a development system, you can try to use the disk.

BTW, this is not an array, it is called JBOD (just a bunch of disks).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!