108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing Max PE per PV

SOLVED
Go to solution
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Changing Max PE per PV

Does any one know if you can change the "Max PE per PV" on HP-UX 11.00 with out having to redue the volume group? I know that this couldn't be done at 10.00 or 10.20 but I thought it was fixed at 11.00.

Thanks,
Tim
10 REPLIES 10
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hello Tim,

I beleive this value can only be set when you create the volume group. The default is 1016 and when the vg is created, the maxpe will be adjusted automagically to match the pv size (if greater than the default).

Hope this helps!
-Bryan
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply Bryan,

I was just reading through all the forums on this subject and Cheryl had mentioned that they were investigating this to see if they could make it changeable on the fly. I was just wondering if they had come up with something yet. I really hate to take my system down and rebuild it just to add another couple of disks. Unfortunately the VG I need to rebuild is vg00!

Will Ignite allow me to adjust the size of Max PE's to a size larger than the disks it is installing on?

Thanks again!

Tim
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Tim,

Yes, Ignite will let you adjust the VG parms at load time. This is the preferred way to do it.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hello Tim,

So, I take it that you are wanting to add larger disks?

-Bryan
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Thanks Jeff,

I guess thats what I'll have to do!

If any one hears that they are changing things please post it. This is really a chaotic way of doing things, especially in this age of 99.9% no-down time.

Tim

Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Yes Bryan, I am adding a new disk. I have know about this problem for quite a long time. Unfortunately I inherited this system and who ever built this systems obiviously did not!

Thanks again,
Tim
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hey Tim,

Are the disks that you are adding, the same size as the existing disks in the VG?

-Bryan
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Hi Bryan,
No, the original ones are 18Gig and I the new ones are 36Gig.

Tim
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hey Tim,

Please disregard my last message, apparently I am having a comprehension problem this morning. Sorry about that! duhhhh...

-Bryan