New Discussion юеВ

Re: Chassis codes for L-Class hardware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Francis No├лl
Regular Advisor

Chassis codes for L-Class hardware

Hello forum peoples

I've been asked to bring a 9000/800/L3000-7x server back to life. This system had been honorably discharged a few years ago but it is needed again.

I have been able to mend all its wounds except for some troubling messages on the VFP.

"Live Mode" VFP displays tis pair of lines periodicaly, about onece every 5 seconds.

processor legacy PA HEX chassis-code F03F
processor display_activity() update 1F00

SL log entries, in the Incomming category are present but do not seem to mach the VFP entries 1-to-1. Details are as follows :

Log Entry # 0 :
SYSTEM NAME: lhplab1
DATE: 07/28/2009 TIME: 19:23:43
ALERT LEVEL: 0 = No failure detected, forward progress

SOURCE: 1 = processor
SOURCE DETAIL: 1 = processor general SOURCE ID: 0
PROBLEM DETAIL: 0 = no problem detail

CALLER ACTIVITY: F = display_activity() update STATUS: 0
CALLER SUBACTIVITY: 00 = implementation dependent
REPORTING ENTITY TYPE: E = HP-UX REPORTING ENTITY ID: 00

0x58E008001100F000 00006D06 1C13172B type 11 = Timestamp 07/28/2009 19:23:43

There are no entries in the Error category under SL.

Apart from this and some light SCSI problems (fixed) the machine POSTs normally and 11.11 was installed and updated without a hitch.

My feeling is that a CPU ( system has 3 ) might be having trouble coming to terms with a firmware update but thats just an intuition.

Since this machine is past its EOL I am calling out to the infinite wisdom of this forum : Does anyone have access to the chassis codes for this hardware ? I'd really like to know what F303 and, to a lesser extent, 1F00 mean.
8 REPLIES 8
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What version of PDC (firmware) are you running?

Depending upon your version of system firmware, this appears to be a 'normal' heartbeat sequence in the forward progress log and VFP. I have an rp5470 (9000/800/L3000-6x) that displays the similar pattern of:

processor legacy PA HEX chassis-code F02F

According to the docs, all you need to look at is the error log and ignore the rest:

http://docs.hp.com/en/A5191-96018/ch06s03.html#chdhhded

Unless of course the attention LED is on and something is in the SL error log. Then it would merit investigating the codes.

Install Online Diags (STM) and then you can always check the system logs with STM and logtools:

# echo "sel dev all;info;wait;il"|/usr/sbin/cstm

# cstm
ru logtool

Since the system is up, see cclogview for looking at the chassis codes.

Make sure the system has the latest firmware and patches and you should be good to go!

HTH

Francis No├лl
Regular Advisor

Thank you for the reply cnb.

Firmwares revisions on this host have always baffled me. This used to be some kind of L-Class, it got upgraded and marketing then rebadged it as an "rp" box.

The GSP firmware is at 2.20 and I cannot seem to locate a newer one. The PDC/System firmware version that was reported in the BCH and by mstm was, believe it or not, 2.04.... I have updated it to 44.12...

I'm having trouble accepting the fact there were over 40 major releases of firmware revisions with minor revisions to boot but hey anything is possible.

Updating the firmware went without a hitch bu the messages on the VFP are stille there. At this point I'm ready to accept them as normal. I think I will bring another rp54 back from the grave and see if it does the same thing.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Francis,

The latest 'B' version GSP firmware can be found here (2.21):

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=86772&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=2512037&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=7

Yes, the L3000 and rp5470 are the same system. Here's a breakdown of the model numbers:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=133038

HTH,

cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Francis,

I just checked some other PA systems here and they too have the same general VFP pattern:

processor legacy PA HEX chassis-code F01F

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

The "Live Mode" of VFP is a descendant of the LCD front panel display in the K-Class hardware.

Find the K-Class Service Manual here (courtesy of www.openpa.net):
http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/docs/platforms/A2375-90004.pdf

Chapter 4 describes the chassis codes.
Newer systems have added some more codes and obsoleted others, but the overall classification seems to be still the same.

------------------

processor legacy PA HEX chassis-code F03F

In a nutshell, these two messages indicate "HP-UX is still running on the machine, all is well".

1F00 is apparently the code for the interrupt that actually produces these chassis codes.

Any code of the form FxyF says that the OS is running normally. The digit at position x is a rough indication of the system load level: values 0-9 are the length of the queue of runnable (waiting-for-CPU) processes at the time of update, and A at this position indicates "more than 9".

The digit at position y is simply the number of CPUs on the system.

MK
MK
Francis No├лl
Regular Advisor

cnb thank you for confirming your systems are behaving in a similar manner. This in itself is enough for me to accept these messages as normal.

11 points and a thousand internets to you, Matti. I cannot imagine a more definitive answer than this. Tails of your great deeds will be sung for generations.
cnb
Honored Contributor

"11 points and a thousand internets to you, Matti. I cannot imagine a more definitive answer than this. Tails of your great deeds will be sung for generations. "

LOL.

I agree 100%!!!

Best Regards to all.

cnb
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>MK: The digit at position x is a rough indication of the system load level: values 0-9 are the length of the queue of runnable (waiting-for-CPU)

I was told that the "x" is how busy the CPU(s) are in deciles, where "A" == 100%.