4416 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Conect two "D" servers to a shared jamaica box

R.O.
Esteemed Contributor

Conect two "D" servers to a shared jamaica box

Hi,

I´m trying to connect two "D" servers to a HP A3311A storage system, but the two server does not recognize these external disks. I tried to change scsi IDs of the jamaica, but that does not work. Anybody can help me?

Regard
"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you"
5 REPLIES 5
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Conect two "D" servers to a shared jamaica box

can you see the disks with the command

iocan -fnCdisk

John.
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

I was unsure from your post whether you are connecting both servers to the same bus, or whether you're splitting the A3311A and hooking each server to one side of the box.

If you're connecting each server to one half of the box, make sure that you have the proper termination on the HBA's and on the HASS box. If an HBA is connected to internal drives as well, you'll want to ensure that the termination resistors on the HBA are disabled (in the storage position).

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

how are you connecting the disks?

a) Half a jamaica box for one server and properly terminated?
b) Or do you want all disks to be visible on both systems?

a) should not be a problem: check cable, terminator, SCSI addresses, check you're using a Differential SCSI port ...

b) is another story: you have server A with SCSI card A having SCSI address 7 --> disk 1 SCSI address X --> disk 2 SCSI address Y --> ... --> server B with SCSI card having <<>> : you end up with 2 times the same SCSI address on the bus : You'll need to change the SCSI address on one of the SCSI cards by opening up the server and changing a jumper on the card.

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Sounds like these guys are on the right track for you - I just wanted to say that it can be done. I have D390 using disks from the first column of my Jamaica, and an RP5450 usings the disks from the second column. Terminators are on the two bottom connectors, and each top connector goes to it's respective server. SCSI IDs are set in each column to match the server it goes to.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

If you connect the two systems to the same SCSI bus, it is best to use IN-LINE-TERMINATED cables, two SCSI card in each host and MirrorDisk/UX. Also,use ServiceGuard if you want automatic failover.
Don't forget to change the address on the second card for a multi-initiator configuration.
Mom 6