108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connect UX server to VGA monitor

SOLVED
Go to solution
peterchu
Super Advisor

Connect UX server to VGA monitor

I have a HP UX A class server , that is connected with a console monitor , but the console monitor is damaged now , is it possible to connect the UX server to VGA monitor .
As I know there is a VGA card that can do it , except buy a VGA card , can I tailer make a cable for it ? thx
12 REPLIES 12
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi peterchu,

You can always connect to the console via the GSP if you have the GSP remote option enabled: try to connect to the GSP from your PC with a normal telnet session (you need to know the name or IP given to that GSP (See in /etc/hosts)

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can either use Hyperterminal on a PC, connected via serial cable or lan/web console. If A class does not mean A180, there should be a built-in lan console in the server. A180 has built-in web-console.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Solution

What, take the serial RS232 output you currently have, and make a cable to display on a VGA screen? No way!

What you could do is:

1) Find an old laptop -connect the existing serial cable to that and run hyperterm.

2) Buy a Secure Web Console - if you can still find one - this will give you LAN access to the machine

3) Buy the VGA/USB kit for this system - note IIRC these cards have to go in specific slots, so if you have existing cards you may need to move/remove them:

http://www.hp.com/products1/serverconnectivity/misc/graphics/infolibrary/graphicscard_pb_611.pdf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
We have several A-class and rp24nn in our enviroment and has no console connected to any of them. There is actually no need for it. Just configure the GSP processor and use as "LAN console" (for emergency needs). As soon as the server is up you can access it using Reflection or rlogin/ssh/telnet.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

using a hyperterm and connecting using a serial cable would still act like the normal console terminal.

do a

#ioscan |grep -i vga

and check as what card you have on your server.
peterchu
Super Advisor

thx replies,

I am not too understand the suggestions ,

1) Find an old laptop -connect the existing serial cable to that and run hyperterm.

what is hyperterm ? is it in PC side ?

2) About the lan console , how to use it ? it the lan console connect to the hub , then telnet to the server ?

peterchu
Super Advisor

I reply to T G Manikandan ,

the #ioscan |grep -i vga result is nothing . thx
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi peterchu,

About your 2├В┬║ question, to use the lan console you need to have the GSP (Guardian Service Processor) configured with the "EL : Enable/disable LAN access" option.

Best Regards,

Eric Antun
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
peterchu
Super Advisor

thx Eric ,

I want to further , I have the GSP installed , but what is its function ? is it the same as a console ? thx