108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting to GSP via ReflectionX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary L. Paveza, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

Connecting to GSP via ReflectionX

Has anyone successfully connected to a GSP (either a multi-partition GSP or single server GSP) using ReflectionsX? I'm trying to get the settings file correct and having problems. I can do this easily using Reflection NS/VT, but ReflectionX (even using telnet) is using a script for login. Since a GSP doesn't give a command prompt - it's having fits.
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Reflection/X is an Xwindow emulator and there is nothing in the GSP to support Xwindows. Reflection/X has a UNIX terminal emulator built-in, rwin2.exe which is a vt100 emulator. Reflection/X (like a hardware Xwindow terminal) cannot run anything locally, it needs a system to provide programs like xclock. Or it can connect to a desktop manager like CDE that runs on some computer, and within the CDE desktop, start a terminal emulator such as dtterm, xterm or hpterm.

Now Reflection/X provides a connect/login faciity to simplify connecting to an Xwindow system, but it is not designed to start a telnet connection to the GSP. If you really need Xwindows, you'll need to get a connection to a system that can provide windows for telnet connections.

However, if all you want is an automated login, the macro feature in the Reflection terminal emulators (rwin1.exe or rwin2.exe) is very easy to use. Just start the program (don't connect to anything) then click on Macro -> Start Recording. A small icon will appear on the screen and you now setup your connection to the GSP, login normally, then click on the icon's leftmost button or on the Menu bar, pull down Macro -> Stop recording. A dialog box will appear aasking if you want this to be the Login macro. To keep this setup as an automatic login, click on File -> Save As and pick a location to store the settings file (.r1w or .r2w). Now, whenever you double click the settings file, a window starts, connects to the GSP and lgs in automatically.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Gary L. Paveza, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Bill. That's pretty much the conclusion I came to, but had to ask. Unfortunately, my company is standardizing on ReflectionX and we aren't allowed to run unauthorized software. Guess I'm limited to using another server to leapfrog to the GSPs.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I understand. Note that Reflection/X comes with Reflection for Unix. There should be an icon in the program group. Or you can just create an shortcut icon by right-clicking on r2win.exe and use that as your vt100 program to talk to the GSP. Since it's part of the Reflection/X installation (along with a nifty ftp and ping program plus an NTP time sync tool) you should be OK.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Gary L. Paveza, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Bill. I hadn't noticed that (I assumed it was from my install of Reflection VT/NS - which is going away).