5937 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console Access with a Mac

Tony Scully_2
Valued Contributor

Console Access with a Mac

Hello,

I have a number of servers (RP8420, RP7420 and RP3440)to build.

Normally I would use either an HP console (green screen type) or a laptop with a serial cable and hyperterminal to connect to the MP, but I don't have these available.

What I do have is an Apple G4 iMac notebook.

Any pointers on what I need in terms of cables (there is no serial port, just USB/firewire) and software (a terminal program) to achieve this?

The notebook is Mac OS 10.3.

Regards and TIA,

Tony.

(PS I am calling it a day now, so please don't be offended if I don't reply to posts until the AM!)
You CAN do that on HP
7 REPLIES 7
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Those systems should have "web console". Be sure it is connected to your internal network and you have configured the IP address. Then you can fire up a web browser on the iMac and connect that way.

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

It's a good idea to actually build a GSP/MP Lan which will ease your maintenance in future too.

Connect the GSP/MPs of all your systems to a switch (it can be a low cost one). Get atleast one of the systems (call it GSP gateway) with two lan cards one on the GSP lan and the other on your public lan.

Configure your GSP/MPs with private IPs including the LAN card on the "GSP gateway".

This way, you can logon to the GSP gateway and from there you can be able to access GSP/MP of any of these servers.

You may get 'serial to USB' converters for your notebook. YOu will have to do bit of a research.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Tony Scully_2
Valued Contributor

Guys,

Thanks very much for the incredibly prompt replies! I decided to work a bit longer.

I am aware of the LAN console facility, though we actually use a Raritan KVM solution for Windows and Unix (we're mostly a Sun shop for unix) which involves connecting a terminal server box to the serial console port and then connecting to that over IP.

If I did use the LAN conosle port, would I not still need to connect somehow to configure the LAN port itself (IP address, mask etc.)? Do they come with a default IP on there? In that case, could I not connect to the GSP LAN port using a crossover patch cord?

The serial to USB cable sounds like a good idea - anyone used this??

Thanks again,

Tony.
You CAN do that on HP
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

GSP network is far superior than the serial-IP (I call it Terminal Server) setup. However, I agree if you have other systems that do not have "GSP" like functionality and if you would like to standardize access to the consoles, you have to go with your setup.

Only first time you will have to connect the serial console to configure GSP LAN.

I haven't gotten to use Serial-USB converters. But I use UTP-USB converters and they work just fine. So I assume Serial-USB should also work. You may find emulators come with the product too. You may have to have a null modem cable with appropriate DB-9 interfaces (Rx - Tx, Tx - Rx, Gnd - Gnd).

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Tony Scully_2
Valued Contributor

Sri,

Thanks again. I will just have to get a serial -USB converter and give it a try.

You've hit the nail on the head - I would prefer the LAN console and Sun do have a LAN console port as well, but Raritan is the standard here.

Having said that, the Raritan boxes are a nice peice of kit. Basically an intel pizza box with a linux OS, and a secure web server running on top. Easy to configure so that users can only connect to the consoles that they are permited access to.

Anyway, thanks again.

Tony.

You CAN do that on HP
Tony Scully_2
Valued Contributor

Just thought I'd post in case anyone is interested in doing this (using a mac as a console).

Use a Keyspan USB-Serial convertor, and install Minicom on the Mac, and it all works, just like that!

It looks so cool having that lovely white iBook in the computer room!
You CAN do that on HP
Tony Scully_2
Valued Contributor

Closing Thread
You CAN do that on HP