108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console Connection Help with rp-3410

SOLVED
Go to solution
RKB
Occasional Advisor

Console Connection Help with rp-3410

Hi, I just have a few newbie questions. I have a HP rp3410 server and would like to install HP-UNIX 11i Ver. 1 on it. I plan on first communicating with the console port first to configure the network card with a Dynamic IP address. Then from there telnet'ing to that connection for the install which I plan to do with 3 CD's.

It is new out of the box, and I installed 6-512 MB sticks of ram in matching pairs according to the manual. I attached the "W" cable to the back of the server, and then attached a serial cable from my PC serial port to the console connector on the "W" cable. I launched Hyper terminal and set the baud rate at 9600 and then started the server. I connected the power cord to the server and pressed the power button.

I just have a few problems. When I pressed the power button the fans went on loud, then completely quiet with the LED in front flashing orange. I see nothing on the hyper terminal. When I press the power again, the fans turn back on, and the light next to the button is green, but the system LED is still orange. Again I see nothing on the terminal. I tried pressing return or other various ctrl commands but I cannot see anything on hypertermial to log in so that I can configure the servers IP address. Is there something that is wrong with the server that is preventing me from logging in? Or do I need to set up my hyperterminal differently? Any help would surely be appreciated. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
DCE
Honored Contributor
Solution

Are you using a null modem serial cable? a standard serial will not work......

Here is a link to that describes how to access/configure the rp3410

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=996494
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Ryan,
You should be able to log into the MP without powering up the system as long as there is power provided to it.
I assume you are not using a NULL MODEM CABLE as stated in the previous response.
Also, the memory roles for this system states that memory should be loaded in Quads and you have loaded 6 pairs.

Tal
"Life is what you make out of them!"
RKB
Occasional Advisor

Yeah that was my issue! I wasn't using a Null modem cable, I found an adapter though. As for the orange light, I just cleared the logs once I was able to log in. As for the memory, my memory is shown as "mismatched". I am going to open "her" up this afternoon to verify my memory installation. I will let you guys know what's going on.
RKB
Occasional Advisor

Okay, everything seems fine now. I just installed HP-UX 11i version 1 on my rp3410. I gave my server a static IP address, and can connect to the terminal using Putty. What I need to do is to see the CDE on my windows XP machine. I have been reading tons of threads regarding this issue, from VNC client and servers, to X servers (ReflectionsX, Cygwin etc.). Which would be the easiest to do to get GUI access to my server? I downloaded Cygwin but I have no idea how to set it up (the instructions were not very helpful to my small UNIX brain). Any advice or crash courses would be great.
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

I use "reflection" for the past few years, it has a wizard to help you create a connection.
Also, Exceed is the same software, you do have to purchase them since they are shelf products.

I am wondering did you change your memory configuration per my suggestion ?

Tal
"Life is what you make out of them!"
RKB
Occasional Advisor

Yeah interesting enough in the manual that came in the box, it said that only the 3440 needed to be loaded in quads, but whatever. As for reflections and exceed, I am looking for a freeware approach.
DCE
Honored Contributor

CygwinX is the only freeware emulator I am aware of. I tried it and then bit the bullet and bought ReflectionsX. If you look on e-bay, amazon, etc, you can find a reasonably priced version of one of the commercial packages - espcially if you do not need the latest and greatest.
RKB
Occasional Advisor

Yeah Gygwin seems like its pretty complicated, with out good results. What about the VNC approach?
RKB
Occasional Advisor

Alright I got Exceed, I need to learn how to use this thing. I will start another thread. Thanks all!