108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console Monitor Issue with RP5430...ie. HP 9000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Le
Advisor

Console Monitor Issue with RP5430...ie. HP 9000

Hello everyone. I am having some issue with the console on a RP5430. We had a power outage over the weekend. Came in and one of my staff turned the power back on the server. He wasn't paying attention to the console when it was powering up.

Anyways, as of right now, the console (monitor) will not turn on or doesn't show any sign of it working. I checked the power and the connection and both are good. Can the monitor be dead?

On a side note, I am able to telnet or ssh into the server. It booted up just fine. Any suggestion or advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You see no bright areas at all on the monitor?
Why not try it on another machine.
Is there a degauss button?
Jon Le
Advisor

there are no bright areas at all. Its completely black. Don't have another HP9000 machine to try it on. The monitor is unique to the system. The connection is a serial connection. I do not see a degauss button just a bright and contrast knob. I have tried it both ways and nothing.
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Well, it would appear your console fried. There are alot of consoles out there that would work with your L Class, (rp5430=L1500.)

Is there a model number on the front, (ie 70096?)

Should have been an astronaut.
Jon Le
Advisor

thanks that is what i figure. A replacement monitor is coming in a few hours to replace it. We shall see at that time.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> The monitor is unique to the system. The connection is a serial connection. I do not see a degauss button just a bright and contrast knob. I have tried it both ways and nothing.

Is the monitor labeled HP 700/92 or 700/94 or similar? This is a standard HP terminal and like any electronic device, it can fail, perhaps more often because it has a high voltage section to light up the screen. When you power the unit off and then on, you will see a little rectangular cursor in the upper left corner. If not, the device is dead and repair is not possible. HP will completely replace these (very low cost) terminals rather than troubleshoot them. If you don't have a support contract, then you can use any other serial terminal -- set it to 9600 baud, 8N1 for parity, etc. Or you can use a PC with the correct cable (a 9pin to 9pin crossover or printer cable).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jon Le
Advisor

the HP tech came out with a brand new monitor and hooked it up but no dice. We plugged it in and nothing comes up on the screen at all.

The product number on the back of the monitor is C1099A.

He is going to ship me another monitor so we will try it again.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Keep in mind it could also be your server (the GSP). Try with a known working console - if you still see nothing, suspect the GSP.
Did you power cycle the server again after the power issue?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jon Le
Advisor

it could be the GSP but wouldn't the monitor work when power is apply to it?? There are no errors on the log in regard to the GSP either.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

So the GSP is working?

Does the terminal have power (check the wall outlet).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!