1753768 Members
5768 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console Switch

Shawn Hamby
Occasional Contributor

Console Switch

Have recently purchased a serial console switch, a Rose Electronics one to be exact. I had read a post where someone else is using them. Problem is, I have the serial cables, DB-9 to DB-25, and I connect them to the switch and server, but I have no communication. Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Check for the right Cables. In most of the cases these console switch comes with the cables . connect those cables. I think in your present cable Rxd and Txd is not matching.

Sandip.
Good Luck!!!
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Shawn

There is 25 pin serial interface testter with leds and slide switched on the top so that you can plug the 25 pin to one enad and the other to the console and change the switches to enable the working . In any case I woul rather suggest the follwoing two options :

1. Replace the cable with a straight cable ie it should ahve the following pins configs atleast :

DB 9 PIN SIDE DB 25 pin SIDE
2-----------------------2
3-----------------------3
5-----------------------7

2. Or buy connectors wire adn solder them

All the best.

Manoj Srivastava
hyun-seok kim
Frequent Advisor

Hi

bundled HP's console cable is cross cable...

and following is cross not straght cable..

DB 9 PIN SIDE DB 25 pin SIDE
2-----------------------2
3-----------------------3
5-----------------------7

If does not work, change 2 and 3 of one side..
UNIX for all
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

I agree it's probably just the wrong cable, but when I had a similar situation I put a common null-modem adapter on there and it corrected the issue. If I remember correctly pins two and three are reversed by a null-modem adapter. If you have one kicking around it's an easy thing to try.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com