108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Console to HP D-Class server

SOLVED
Go to solution
GBR
Regular Advisor

Console to HP D-Class server

I simply want to set up a Console to a D-Class server to install an OS. How do I do this?
6 REPLIES 6
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Re: Console to HP D-Class server

Hi,

at my D370 there is a really old WISE terminal connected to the port labeled 'console' at the back of the machine.

IMHO a hyperterminal connection from a PC should be possible as well.

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
You have to use the serial port 1 to plug you ASCII terminal

All the best
Victor
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Attach a terminal or a PC running a terminal emulator to the console serial port. The settings should 9600 Baud, 8-bits, No-parity, 1 Stop bit or 9600-8N1
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The best and the simplest way is to use an HP dumb terminal. Long ago such a terminal was an oblygatory part. AFAIU, you don't have such a thing, but may be you have a consol cabel from this machine ? In any case you may use a serial cabel, preferably from old PCs and Hyperterm or Procomm Plus on a PC. The settings are 9600 Baud 8-N-1

Good luck.
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
f. halili
Trusted Contributor

1) HP dumb terminal: 9600 Baud, 8-bits, No-parity, 1 Stop bit

2)You can also use your WIN machine. Connect your WIN machine & D380 via serial cable. I know in Win98 there is Programs -> Accesories and see if you a Terminal so you can connect via serial. I have WIN XP at my desk and have no idea on what replaced "Terminal".

Cheers,
f. halili
derekh
GBR
Regular Advisor

I connected a 9 pin serial cable from my D-Class Server directly to my PC. I then used Microsoft's HyperTerminal for the terminal emulator using the settings given.

It worked.

I'm now trying to set up a web console so I can work remotely.