108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Console user guide

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Console user guide

The terminal is working properly--your system is not responding. Type the special code CTRL-b (hold CTRL down and press the letter b) and you'll get a processor ROM prompt. If you have old hardware (K-class, others) you'll have to make sure the key is in the service position to enable the processor ROM code. At the CM> prompt, you can type rs to reset the system. That will start the system rebooting.

Once the system starts rebooting, you can interrupt the boot process when the message comes up and boot interactively. The command to go into single user mode is hpux -is which you enter at the ISL> prompt. Once in single user mode, you will have to mount /usr /var and /tmp to be able to use vi and set_parms. You can then look over your configuration in netconf or set_parms. Note that if you change your IP address because it is going to be connected to another subnet, set_parms *will* hang as the system now has the wrong IP and gateway address.

If the IP address and gateway are correct, disconnect the LAN cable(s) and you can reboot normally using: reboot -q

Naturally, if the IP address and gateway change on a computer, it will no longer respond to any attempts to connect over the LAN until it is hooked to the correct subnet.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
YP_1

Hey Bill, thank you very much for your quick reply.

Sorry, I'm an NT guy just joined the company. I tried to search from the net
before I post here. Please kindly bear with me.

I'm indeed on a HP9000 K100 server. What do you mean by "in service position" to use Ctrl-b? I tried Ctrl-b now but nothing happen.

Let me confirmed the step
1) Type Ctrl-b and the sytem should go into CM> prompt
2) at CM> prompt, type rs to reboot
3)How and when to get into ISL prompt?
4)at single use mode (?) mount /usr /var and /tmp
5) confirm values in netconf has changed to the new one. Isn't netconf in /etc/rc.config.d? don't I need to mount /etc too?
6)Disconnect LAN cable
7) reboot -q
8) AT which point should I reconnect the LAN cables?

thanks for your patience.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The K100 has a key slot on the front panel with 3 positions: STANDBY ON SERVICE. The key must be turned all the way to the right (clockwise) to select SERVICE which then enables CTRL-B. If you do not have a key, you have no choice but to cycle power (which is about the same as doing reset from the processor CM> prompt). Since the key is needed to turn off power, your only choice is to pull the plug on the unit. While you are back there, pull out the LAN cable(s) and let the machine start back up. The front panel of the K100 will show the selftests then switch to the console when test state C440 is reached.

At that point, you should see the CPU summary (RAM and CPUs) plus a message that says you have 10 seconds to interrupt the boot process. Since your LAN cables are out, you can just let the system reboot. It won't be confused by the network configs since there is no network.

BTW: get yourself the key to the K100. All K-series boxes use the same key. I could not find the keys by themselves from HP parts so you'll have to order the switch assembly A2375-60099 from partsurfer.hp.com which comes with keys. Or you can probably bribe your local HP customer engineer for one.

> 5) confirm values in netconf has changed to the new one. Isn't netconf in /etc/rc.config.d? don't I need to mount /etc too?

Yes, netconf is /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and you'll need to check on the hostname, the IP address, subnet mask and the route (ROUTE_GATEWAY) is correct for the new network. Don't connect the machine to a different network with these new settings--you'll get hangs.

/etc is not a mountpoint, it is part of the / directory. A slightly confusing part of Unix is that a directory can be a simple directory with files or it can be a mountpoint (a splice location) where another disk volume can be attached. The bdf command shows the mountpoints along with /etc/fstab.

Since you're running now with the local console, you don't need to connect the LAN cable until you move the box to it's new location. I would power it up before connecting to the network. Make sure that your new IP address and hostname are updated in your DNS server and if this new network uses a different DNS server, change the DNS server list in /etc/resolv.conf.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
YP_1

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the late reply. I was unable to proceed as I couldn't get to the processor ROM prompt even afer I turned the key to the service position and pressed CTRL+b.

One reason is due to faulty monitor???

I was able to get my local HP support to help me on this FOC via the phone.
We basically hard booted the server (but the monitor still not showing anything) and somehow able to ping after that and proceed from there.

You have been a great helper and I truly appreciated that.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Did this terminal ever work in the past? Or was it recently hooked up? If so, it VERY likely the wrong cable was used. The K-series will definitely put text on the screen during reboot. There are 2 cables for serial connections: straight thru (modem) and cross-over (null modem or printer) cable. Of course, the terminal may have failed...

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
YP_1

The problem have been solved. I reconnected the console cable to port 1 (previously on port 2) and it's working fine now.

Thank you very much