108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Converting from 32bit to 64bit on a D380

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Richburg
Occasional Advisor

Converting from 32bit to 64bit on a D380

Is it possible to change an R Class 9000/810 D380 from 32bit to 64bit?
7 REPLIES 7
DCE
Honored Contributor

Re: Converting from 32bit to 64bit on a D380

David,

According to the following link, 64 bit is supported on the D380

Dave

http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/operating/public_hp-ux_systems_support.pdf
David Richburg
Occasional Advisor

ok now do you have any info on how to make the change from 32 to 64bit?

I would really appreciate that.
DCE
Honored Contributor
Solution

David,

The following thread, although long, has several very good comments/directions on the conversion. More threads can be found by performing a search for "converting to 64 bit"

Dave

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=748892
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You don't have to "do" anything, at least hardware-wise, your R box is already a 64-bit processor. You simply need to load a 64-bit version of HP-UX 11.0 or 11.11 and you are there.

You should load the latest version of firmware (42.11).
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CULU4211&context=firmware:cpu

You should also remove any EISA cards because there is no EISA support in 64-bit land. You then install the 64-bit version of 11.x and you are now a 64-bit box.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

If you have EISA cards installed in your D380, then you cann't install the 64 bit version. First remove you cards, then you can perform an upgrade or reinstall
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Are you sure you would want to upgrade to the 64-bit version of HP-UX? The amount of physical RAM for a D380 is below the 32-bit maximum, so you don't get an advantage there. It is true that your Virtual Memory could be larger, but would that really help you? From a performance perspective, your performance may actually be less, since your effective cache size will be reduced by 64-bit pointers and 64-bit data types that were previously 32-bit. You might spend time doing this with little or no gain, unless you were looking to match the rest of your systems. Some applications are only supported on 64-bit HP-UX, so that would be a good reason to make the change. There are probably more, too, but I thought I would raise the issue.
Mom 6
David Richburg
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all your input. We are a development shop and need to support Oracle which now only runs on 64bit HPUX.