1753645 Members
6344 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating an NFS

Andre Ford
Advisor

Creating an NFS

I'm pretty new to the Unnix world so please forgive me if this has been answered before. We are currently have a 4-bay data silo attached to our HP 9000 running 10.20. The silo has been configured and works fine under 10.20. What I need to do is format a removable drive, create an NFS and take it to an HP-UX 9.05 environemnt where it can be mounted and used. I'm not sure what switches I would need to accomplish this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Andre
3 REPLIES 3
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating an NFS

Hi Andre,
Im not sure Ive understood what you are up to...
This is what I see :
1)You need to format (?..) a removable drive
2) create an NFS (??)
3) Take it to an HP-UX 9.05 (???)

Looks youre talking of HP series 700 workstation is is not?
1) Are you using LVM, and vxfs on youre 10.20?
2 and 3: Is it you want the disk to be seen by HP9.05 or physically plug the disk to it - in which case I dont understand the NFS bit.

I would imagine : you want to create an filesystem that is exported to your 9.05 box.

Unfortunatly I havent used a workstation for 5 years now, and HP series800 have been using LVM since HPUX 9.XX... The best for you since you are new to unix would be to use SAM (System admin-manager) sam works in text and X, now as for your task 2 choices under LVM
a) add your disk to an existing volume group
b) create a new volume group
To do so, choose your option (create or add to existing) launch sam=>disk and file systems...
Once youve done this in sam go and create a logical volume of the size of the file system you want to be exported and the mount point.
Now in sam, go to Networking and Communications/Networked file systems
click on exported file systems.
In the new window go to menu Actions/Add exported file system
Fill in the fields
I cant remember what it does after but you should see "enable NFS server" at a point...
Youve achieved now your goal
Test: On your 9.05, try to mount your file system:
(Always as root)
mount :/ /

OK?

Good luck

All the best

Victor
Andre Ford
Advisor

Victor,

Got your response. Thanks for the info. My apologies for not being clear on what I'm trying to do. You pretty much cleared up a few things for me but here are the responses to your questions:

1. Yes, we're using LVM and vxfs on our 10.20
2 and 3. Also yes. I need to have the disk bee seen in 9.05. We have a few labs setup that run different versions of HP-UX. The customer wants the capability to come to the HP-UX 10.20 environment, do a newfs on the removable drive and take it back to his 9.05 environment for them to use.

Please bear with me as I try and get acquainted with Unix again after being in the NT world for a while.(Worked with it about seven years ago but not to this extent). Thanks for everything
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi again Andre,
Im afraid it will not work unless you find a way on your 10.20 box to create an non lvm disk with a unique HFS filesystem since to my knowledge - on HP 9000/800 servers since 10.20 I think you cannot do so (... Anyone else out there to confirm or give a hand?).
If tis to use data from the 10.20 to your workstation 9.05 then NFS will do the job.
Now if you have a 10.20 worksstation, it may be different since as mentionned before I havent dealed with one and dont know what you can do, but for sure if you have a series 700 with 10.20 and your customer want to migrate 9.05 to 10.20 you could generate a bootable tape (look if you have make_recovery utility installed - that is Ignite-Ux ...) or if the boot disks are identical replicate the disks with the dd command...

All the best

Victor